Chapter 67. RH442: Red Hat Enterprise system monitoring and performance tuning
Performance tuning and capacity planning for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
67.1. Course Description
RH442 is an advanced four-day hands-on lab course covering system architecture, performance characteristics, monitoring, benchmarking, and network performance tuning.
RHCT at a minimum, RHCE certification recommended, or comparable skills and knowledge. All prospective course participants without RHCE certification are encouraged to verify skills with Red Hat's free online pre—assessment tests.
RH442 is designed to teach the methodology of performance tuning and capacity planning for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. This class will cover:
- A discussion of system architecture with an emphasis on understanding the implications of system architecture on system performance
- Methods for testing the effects of performance adjustments (benchmarking)
- Open source benchmarking utilities
- Methods for analyzing system performance and networking performance
- Tuning configurations for specific application loads
RH442 is aimed at senior Red Hat Enterprise Linux system administrators and other IT professionals working in enterprise environments and mission-critical systems.
67.1.4. Course Objectives
- Overview of system components and architecture as they relate to system performance
- Translating manufacturers' hardware specifications into useful information
- Using standard monitoring tools effectively to gather and analyze trend information
- Gathering performance-related data with SNMP
- Using open source benchmarking utilities
- Network performance tuning
- Application performance tuning considerations
- Tuning for specific configurations
67.1.5. Follow-on Courses
RHS333 Enterprise Security: Securing Network Services
RH401 Red Hat Enterprise Deployment and Systems Management
RH423 Red Hat Enterprise Directory Services and Authentication
RH436 Red Hat Enterprise Storage Mgmt.