1.138.1. RHBA-2011:0094: bug fix update
An updated shadow-utils package that fixes several bugs is now available for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.
The shadow-utils package includes programs for converting UNIX password files to the shadow password format, as well as tools for managing user and group accounts.
This update fixes the following bugs:
* Previously, extended Attributes and extended access control lists (ACLs) on files and directories under /etc/skel were dropped when a new user was created. With this update, the files are successfully copied and the extended ACL's are preserved. ( BZ#513055
* Previously, the description of the option -K in the Japanese man page of groupadd could cause confusion. With this update, the content of the man page is corrected and the description is clear and logical. ( BZ#537011
* Previously, the maximum number of character for username and groupname was limited to 31. With this update Maximum size of username and groupname is set to 32 characters. ( BZ#586861
* Previously, the command "faillog" failed to print the User Identification (UID) when the faillog file was empty. This update prints the UID of the users who had a login failure and no more underflow occurs. ( BZ#603692
* Previously, the command "faillog" printed the faillog records of all users when it was run without arguments. With this update, the log prints only the records of the users who had a login failure, as described in the manual page. ( BZ#619713
All users of shadow-utils are advised to upgrade to this updated package, which resolves these issues.