4.8 Release Notes
Release Notes for all Architectures
1. Release Notes Updates
- Known Issue: Bugzilla #488186
- Running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.8 on Lenovo T61 notebooks may cause the system to hang during the boot process, displaying the following error message:
mtrr: v2.0 (20020519) ACPI: Subsystem revision 20040816 ACPI: Found ECDTTo work around this issue, disable ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) by adding the command
acpi=offto the kernel boot parameters.
- Known Issue: Bugzilla #459785
- Japanese language JP106 keyboards will not function correctly when booting into Rescue Mode on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.8.
- Known Issue: Bugzilla #494022
- Updating all packages from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.7 to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.8 on multilib architectures may fail with dependency issues for the
openmpi-libspackage. To work around this issue, use the following commands to update the
compat-daplpackage before updating the remaining packages:
up2date compat-dapl up2date -fu
- Known Issue: Bugzilla #443137
- In a typical HA-RAID (High Availability RAID) two-system configuration, two SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) adapters are plugged in to two systems that are connected to a shared SAS disk drawer. However, it is currently possible to set the
Preferred Dual Adapter Stateattribute to
Primaryon both SAS adapters, which may trigger a race condition and cause infinite failover between the adapters. To prevent this error, if the
Preferred Dual Adapter Stateattribute of one SAS adapters is set to
Primary, ensure that the other is set to
- Known Issue: Bugzilla #499457
- As a result of N_Port ID Virtualization (NPIV) support added in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.8 on s390x architectures, the
sysfsattribute is no longer included. This attribute was used (primarily for debugging purposes) to differentiate the use of NPIV Logical Unit Numbers (LUNs) from within Linux. In the absence of this attribute, system administrators should refer to the Hardware Management Console / Support Element (HMC/SE) to find the virtual port address on an NPIV-enabled system.
- Known Issue: Bugzilla #435300
- Known Issue: In previous versions of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, adding the line
selinux --permissiveto a kickstart file sets selinux to permissive mode. However, this line is currently ignored by the installer, leaving selinux set to the default mode: enforcing.To set selinux to permissive mode during a kickstart installation, add the
setenforce 1command to the
%presection of the kickstart file.Alternatively, run
setenforce 1after installation is complete.
- Known Issue: Bugzilla #455251
- In Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, invoking the kernel system call
whichparameter of type
PRIO_PROCESSdoes not set the priority of child threads.
- Recommendation: Firefox Restart
- Red Hat strongly recommends restarting the Firefox browser after updating the
firefoxpackage. This will ensure that all Firefox updates take effect.