Chapter 2. Installation
2.1. Minimum system requirements
CodeReady Containers has the following minimum hardware and operating system requirements.
2.1.1. Hardware requirements
CodeReady Containers requires the following system resources:
- 4 physical CPU cores
- 9 GB of free memory
- 35 GB of storage space
The OpenShift cluster requires these minimum resources to run in the CodeReady Containers virtual machine. Some workloads may require more resources. To assign more resources to the CodeReady Containers virtual machine, see Configuring the virtual machine.
2.1.2. Operating system requirements
CodeReady Containers requires the following minimum version of a supported operating system:
220.127.116.11. Microsoft Windows
- On Microsoft Windows, CodeReady Containers requires the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709) or newer. CodeReady Containers does not work on earlier versions of Microsoft Windows. Microsoft Windows 10 Home Edition is not supported.
- On macOS, CodeReady Containers requires macOS 10.14 Mojave or newer. CodeReady Containers does not work on earlier versions of macOS.
- On Linux, CodeReady Containers is only supported on Red Hat Enterprise Linux/CentOS 7.5 or newer (including 8.x versions) and on the latest two stable Fedora releases.
- When using Red Hat Enterprise Linux, the machine running CodeReady Containers must be registered with the Red Hat Customer Portal.
- Ubuntu 18.04 LTS or newer and Debian 10 or newer are not officially supported and may require manual set up of the host machine.
- See Required software packages to install the required packages for your Linux distribution.
2.2. Required software packages for Linux
CodeReady Containers requires the
NetworkManager packages to run on Linux. Consult the following table to find the command used to install these packages for your Linux distribution:
Table 2.1. Package installation commands by distribution
|Linux Distribution||Installation command|
Red Hat Enterprise Linux/CentOS
2.3. Installing CodeReady Containers
- Your host machine must meet the minimum system requirements. For more information, see Minimum system requirements.
Download the latest release of CodeReady Containers for your platform and extract the contents of the archive to a location in your
2.4. Upgrading CodeReady Containers
Newer versions of the CodeReady Containers executable require manual set up to prevent potential incompatibilities with earlier versions.
- Download the latest release of CodeReady Containers.
Delete the existing CodeReady Containers virtual machine:
$ crc deleteWarning
crc deletecommand results in the loss of data stored in the CodeReady Containers virtual machine. Save any desired information stored in the virtual machine before running this command.
Replace the earlier
crcexecutable with the executable of the latest release. Verify that the new
crcexecutable is in use by checking its version:
$ crc version
Set up the new CodeReady Containers release:
$ crc setup
Start the new CodeReady Containers virtual machine:
$ crc start