Chapter 11. Creating an alert to monitor physical server health
Note: For this alert to work correctly, you must first configure the SMTP settings in CloudForms by following instructions in the Outgoing SMTP Email Settings section in the CloudForms Configuration documentation.
In CloudForms, there is a configurable alert for physical servers that sends an alert email when a server that is assigned to the alert is in an unhealthy state. This alert can be used to notify IT administrators that a server is in an unhealthy state, so that they can investigate and resolve potential issues before the issues lead to downtime.
To enable this alert, you must create a physical server alert profile, assign servers to the profile, and then configure the alert that is associated with the profile.
11.1. Step 1. Create a physical server alert profile
- Navigate to Control > Explorer.
- Click Alert Profiles > Physical Server Alert Profiles.
- Click Configuration > Add a New Physical Server Alert Profile from the top menu.
- Enter a description into the Description field.
- Select Physical server has critical health state from the Available Physical Server Alerts list, and click on the > button to add it to the Profile Alerts list on the right.
- Click Add.
11.2. Step 2. Assign servers to the alert profile
- Click Alert Profiles > Physical Server Alert Profiles > ProfileName, where ProfileName is the name of the physical server alert that was previously created.
- Click Configuration > Edit assignments for this Alert Profile.
- Choose Selected Servers from the Assign To dropdown menu.
- Select the checkboxes next to the servers that you want to assign to the profile from the Selections list.
- Click Save.
11.3. Step 3. Configure the alert associated with the alert profile
- Click Alert Profiles > Physical Server Alert Profiles > ProfileName > Physical server has critical health state, where ProfileName is the name of the physical server alert profile that was previously created.
- Click Configuration > Edit this Alert from the top menu.
- Select the Active checkbox to enable the alert.
- Optionally, increase the notification frequency by selecting a new value from the Notification Frequency dropdown menu. The default frequency is one hour.
- Ensure that the Send an E-mail checkbox is selected.
- Optionally, enter a value into the From field. By default, the email@example.com address is used.
- Enter the email address that you want to retrieve the alert notification in the Add field, and then click the + button. The email address is displayed in the To field.
- Click Save.
The assigned servers are checked hourly, and a notification is sent through email if the any of the assigned servers have a critical health state.