Chapter 1. Introduction
Satellite 6 is a subscription and system management tool that provides a way to provision hosts (both virtual and bare metal) and configure them using a set of Puppet modules. Red Hat CloudForms provides functionality to integrate with a Red Hat Satellite 6 server and take advantage of its features. This includes:
- Monitoring the inventory of your Red Hat Satellite 6 server, including independent hosts and hosts provisioned using hostgroups.
- Reprovisioning existing bare metal system hosts to new host groups.
- Applying Red Hat CloudForms Management Engine policy tags to hosts.
This guide provides a step-by-step workflow on how to integrate Red Hat CloudForms 4.0 and Red Hat Satellite 6 together.
Red Hat CloudForms only reprovisions existing systems in a Red Hat Satellite 6 environment. Provisioning systems from Red Hat Satellite 6’s bare metal discovery service is planned for a future release.
1.1. Defining the Workflow
This guide uses the following workflow:
- Add a Red Hat Satellite 6 server details to Red Hat CloudForms Management Engine.
- Refresh the state of your Red Hat Satellite 6 provider in Red Hat CloudForms Management Engine.
- Select an existing bare metal host from Red Hat Satellite 6 for reprovisioning.
- Apply policy tags to Red Hat Satellite 6 hosts.