Chapter 1. Introduction
1.1. What is Red Hat Cloud Suite
Red Hat Cloud Suite is an offering that combines multiple Red Hat products optimized to work together. It is the all-in-one offering that provides virtualization, private cloud, public-cloud interoperability, container-based application development, storage, and a common management framework. This guide gives a high level overview of how the product works.
Red Hat Cloud Suite entitles users to deploy the following products:
- Red Hat OpenStack Platform
- Red Hat Virtualization
- Red Hat CloudForms
- Red Hat Satellite
- Red Hat Insights
- Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform
Red Hat Cloud Suite makes it possible for you to build your own open private hybrid cloud.
Open means that Red Hat Cloud Suite can make use of new open source technologies as they become available.
Private means that Red Hat Cloud Suite makes it possible for you to secure your critical data within infrastructure that you own and control.
Hybrid means that Red Hat Cloud Suite can integrate with cloud technologies that you are already using, or that you might use in the future. These include Red Hat Virtualization and Red Hat OpenStack Platform. It also means that you can direct a portion of your workload to public cloud providers, such as Amazon EC2, Microsoft Azure.
1.2. What Can Red Hat Cloud Suite Manage
Red Hat Cloud Suite is suitable for managing the following:
- A few virtual machines.
- A few thousand virtual machines.
- Hard disks.
- Huge storage arrays.
- A single hypervisor.
- Hundreds of hypervisors.
- One flat network.
- Multiple physical and virtual networks.
- A local data center.
- All data centers around the world.
- Develop applications.
1.3. Key Features
Red Hat Cloud Suite is a solution that allows you to have a cloud infrastructure with Red Hat OpenStack Platform or Red Hat Virtualization, a container-based application development platform with OpenShift Container Platform, a common management framework for cloud providers with Red Hat CloudForms, and a common management framework for lifecycle, provisioning, configuration updates, and subscriptions with Red Hat Satellite.
Some of the key features of Red Hat Cloud Suite are as follows:
Private Cloud Infrastructure (Red Hat OpenStack Platform & Red Hat Virtualization)
- Red Hat OpenStack Platform provides a highly scalable foundation to create and manage a secure private or public cloud.
- Red Hat Virtualization allows abstraction of hardware allowing for greater utilization of compute pool capacity.
Unified Management (Red Hat CloudForms & Red Hat Satellite)
- Operations management scans and discovers existing resources and their relationships across multiple infrastructure providers. It continuously monitors these resources and scans for new ones, providing visibility into operations across the entire environment.
- Lifecycle Management manages deployment, configuration, updates, patches, and subscriptions from a single console.
- Self-service starts with a self-service catalog, and extends to cover the complete lifecycle, operational, and financial management of the deployed services.
- Infrastructure monitoring and risk analysis collects the infrastructure analytics, enabling you to quickly and proactively manage technical risks before they impact operations.
Application Development and Portability (OpenShift Container Platform)
- You can automate the hosting, configuration, deployment, and administration of applications in a cloud environment.
- Containers keep applications and their runtime components together by combining lightweight application isolation with an image-based deployment method. All containers on a host are dependent on the same operating system kernel, making them faster to start up, less resource intensive, and more portable than virtual machines. Containers leverage the Docker standard for formatting.
- Container orchestration based on the Kubernetes standard ensures that the operators can manage a cluster of containers as a single system.
- Open APIs allow enterprises to replace or enhance existing functionality with a long list of Red Hat and certified software options. This allows you to leverage existing software as part of their private cloud.
- Cloud Deployment Planner is an interactive, web-based tool that enables you to quickly determine feature compatibility across multiple products prior to installing or upgrading.