Chapter 1. Overview of AMQ Streams
AMQ Streams is based on Apache Kafka, a popular platform for streaming data delivery and processing. AMQ Streams makes it easy to run Apache Kafka on OpenShift.
AMQ Streams provides three operators:
- Cluster Operator
- Responsible for deploying and managing Apache Kafka clusters within an OpenShift cluster.
- Topic Operator
- Responsible for managing Kafka topics within a Kafka cluster running within an OpenShift cluster.
- User Operator
- Responsible for managing Kafka users within a Kafka cluster running within an OpenShift cluster.
Operators within the AMQ Streams architecture
This guide describes how to install and use Red Hat AMQ Streams.
1.1. Kafka Key Features
- Designed for horizontal scalability
- Message ordering guarantee at the partition level
- "Long term" storage allows the reconstruction of an application state by replaying the messages
- Combines with compacted topics to use Kafka as a key-value store
- For more information about Apache Kafka, see the Apache Kafka website.
1.2. Document Conventions
In this document, replaceable text is styled in monospace and italics.
For example, in the following code, you will want to replace
my-namespace with the name of your namespace:
sed -i 's/namespace: .*/namespace: my-namespace/' install/cluster-operator/*RoleBinding*.yaml