Chapter 6. Installing the 3scale operator on OpenShift 4.x
This documentation shows you how to:
- Create a new project.
- Deploy a 3scale instance.
threescale-registry-authsecret in the project.
- Install the 3scale operator through Operator Lifecycle Manager (OLM).
- Deploy the custom resources once the operator has been deployed.
Access with administrator privileges to an OpenShift Container Platform (OCP) 4.1 cluster.
- Note: OCP 4.x supports deployment of 3scale using the operator only.
Deploy the 3scale operator and custom resource definitions (CRDs) in a separate newly created, empty project. If you deploy them in an existing project containing infrastructure, it could alter or delete existing elements.
6.1. Creating a new OpenShift project
Run the command shown below to create a new OpenShift project. Create the new project, and install the operator and the custom resources. The operator manages the custom resources through OLM in that project.
This command shows an example of a project name,
operator-test. Replace this project name with your own.
oc new-project operator-test
This will create a new OpenShift project where the operator, the APIManager custom resource (CR) and the Capabilities custom resources will be installed.
6.2. Installing and configuring the 3scale operator using the OLM
Use OLM to install the 3scale Operator on an OpenShift Container Platform 4.1 cluster by using OperatorHub in the OpenShift Container Platform console.
You must install and deploy the 3scale operator in the
- In the OpenShift Container Platform console, log in using an account with administrator privileges.
- Click Catalog > OperatorHub.
- In the Filter by keyword box, type 3scale operator to find the 3scale operator.
- Click the 3scale operator. Information about the Operator is displayed.
- Read the information about the operator and click Install. The Create Operator Subscription page opens.
On the Create Operator Subscription page, accept all of the default selections and click Subscribe.Note
The operator will only be available in the specific single namespace on the cluster that you have selected.
The 3scale-operator details page is displayed, where you can see the Subscription Overview.
After the subscription upgrade status is shown as Up to date, click Catalog > Installed Operators to verify that the 3scale operator ClusterServiceVersion (CSV) is displayed and its Status ultimately resolves to InstallSucceeded in the
- Successful installation will register the APIManager CRD and the CRDs related to the Capabilities functionality of the operator in the OpenShift API server.
After successful installation, query the resource types defined by the CRDs via
For example, to verify that the APIManager CRD has been correctly registered, execute the following command:
oc get apimanagers
You should see the following output:
No resources found.
For troubleshooting information, see the OpenShift Container Platform documentation.