Chapter 5. Monitoring OpenShift Serverless components
You are viewing documentation for a release of Red Hat OpenShift Serverless that is no longer supported. Red Hat OpenShift Serverless is currently supported on OpenShift Container Platform 4.3 and newer.
As a cluster administrator, you can deploy the OpenShift Container Platform monitoring stack and monitor the metrics of OpenShift Serverless components.
When using the OpenShift Serverless Operator, the required ServiceMonitor objects are created automatically for monitoring the deployed components.
OpenShift Serverless components, such as Knative Serving, expose metrics data. Administrators can monitor this data by using the OpenShift Container Platform web console.
5.1. Configuring cluster for application monitoring
Before application developers can monitor their applications, the human operator of the cluster needs to configure the cluster accordingly. This procedure shows how to.
- You must log in as a user that belongs to a role with administrative privileges for the cluster.
- In the OpenShift Container Platform web console, navigate to the Operators → OperatorHub page and install the Prometheus Operator in the namespace where your application is.
- Navigate to the Operators → Installed Operators page and install Prometheus, Alertmanager, Prometheus Rule, and Service Monitor in the same namespace.
5.2. Verifying an OpenShift Container Platform monitoring installation for use with Knative Serving
Manual configuration for monitoring by an administrator is not required, but you can carry out these steps to verify that monitoring is installed correctly.
Verify that the ServiceMonitor objects are deployed.
$ oc get servicemonitor -n knative-serving NAME AGE activator 11m autoscaler 11m controller 11m
Verify that the
openshift.io/cluster-monitoring=truelabel has been added to the Knative Serving namespace:
$ oc get namespace knative-serving --show-labels NAME STATUS AGE LABELS knative-serving Active 4d istio-injection=enabled,openshift.io/cluster-monitoring=true,serving.knative.dev/release=v0.7.0
5.3. Monitoring Knative Serving using the OpenShift Container Platform monitoring stack
This section provides example instructions for the visualization of Knative Serving Pod autoscaling metrics by using the OpenShift Container Platform monitoring tools.
- You must have the OpenShift Container Platform monitoring stack installed.
- Navigate to the OpenShift Container Platform web console and authenticate.
- Navigate to Monitoring → Metrics.
Enter the Expression and select Run queries. To monitor Knative Serving autoscaler Pods, use this example expression.
You will now see monitoring information for the Knative Serving autoscaler Pods in the console.