Chapter 1. Introduction
1.1. About the Web Console
This guide is for engineers, consultants, and others who want to use the Migration Toolkit for Runtimes (MTR) to migrate or modernize Java applications or other components. It describes how to install and use the web console to manage migration or modernization projects and analyze applications.
1.2. About the Migration Toolkit for Runtimes
What is the Migration Toolkit for Runtimes?
The Migration Toolkit for Runtimes (MTR) is an extensible and customizable rule-based tool that simplifies the migration and modernization of Java applications.
MTR examines application artifacts, including project source directories and application archives, and then produces an HTML report highlighting areas needing changes. MTR supports many migration paths, including the following examples:
- Upgrading to the latest release of Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform
- Migrating from Oracle WebLogic or IBM WebSphere Application Server to Red Hat JBoss Enterprise Application Platform
- Containerizing applications and making them cloud-ready
- Migrating from Java Spring Boot to Quarkus
- Updating from Oracle JDK to OpenJDK
- Upgrading from OpenJDK 8 to OpenJDK 11
- Upgrading from OpenJDK 11 to OpenJDK 17
- Upgrading from OpenJDK 17 to OpenJDK 21
- Migrating EAP Java applications to Azure
- Migrating Spring Boot Java applications to Azure
For more information about use cases and migration paths, see the MTR for developers web page.
How does the Migration Toolkit for Runtimes simplify migration?
The Migration Toolkit for Runtimes looks for common resources and known trouble spots when migrating applications. It provides a high-level view of the technologies used by the application.
MTR generates a detailed report evaluating a migration or modernization path. This report can help you to estimate the effort required for large-scale projects and to reduce the work involved.
How do I learn more?
See the Introduction to the Migration Toolkit for Runtimes to learn more about the features, supported configurations, system requirements, and available tools in the Migration Toolkit for Runtimes.
1.3. About the web console
The web console for the Migration Toolkit for Runtimes allows a team of users to assess and prioritize migration and modernization efforts for a large number of applications. It allows you to group applications into projects for analysis and provides numerous reports that highlight the results.