in-guest iscsi redundancy.

Latest response

I plan on virtualizing NFS 4 and Samba File Servers and are unsure of best practice regarding connecting the underlying storage through iscsi.
All the Virtual guests are installed on multipathed iscsi storage with redundant links and have bridged bonded interfaces for the file server connections.
At present live migrations work excellent and it would be preferred if that could still be the case with file-server guests.

It seems i have two options for a redundant iscsi connection to the guests.

The first option would be to use two different physical nic's with bridges on the hypervisor and through those set up a multipathed iscsi disk configuration on the virtualized file-server guest itself.
I do not know if it is possible to use multipath on a guest and if the fail over would work through the virtualized network configuration.

The second option would be to instead create a dedicated bridged bond on the hypervisor. This way the guest only gets one nic for the iscsi connection and the redundancy is handled by the bond on the hypervisor instead of multipath on the guest itself.

Does anyone know which would be the preferred option or if there are other better alternatives?

Responses