How to add an existing host built outside of Satellite

Latest response

I have several domains with redhat vm's and a few physical systems. I have set up a YUM server using satellite 6.10. How to do reach out to the existing RHEL servers and add them to the Satellite to patch and update them as needed. if someone could show me a step by step how to do this. NOTE things i have watched there seems to be different way to do this. I am not sure which one i need to do. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Responses

I created a Activation Key (Host > Register Host). It was a little hassle to figure out what fields I need under general and advanced tabs. Once I generated a activation key, I copied it to my host desktop into a text file. Then I was connected to the host, opened the terminal and the text file and copy/ paste the generated key and hit enter.

I had a few errors and went back and forth between generating another one with different settings, such as insecure checked or the token live time set.

Hope that helps ..

There's a pretty nice 'Register Host' utility in Satellite's UI. You'll need to set up at least on 'Activation Key' in Satellite to use it; naturally the Activation Key relies on a number of other pre-requisites in Satellite (appropriate subscriptions/allocations applied and available, content views generated etc...). Once you get this all set up, run the 'Register Host' utility and fill out the form. It will generate a 'curl' command that you can then copy/pasta on your client. Un-register the clients current subscription and then paste/run the curl command. The client should reach out to your Satellite server, download and install satellite's 'katello-consumer' package and then attempt to subscribe to Satellite (it may be necessary to run 'subscription-manager attach on the client once it's finished). From that point, the client will be able to access the content view and subscriptions assigned to the activation key.

Nice work Dennis.

System registration goes much easier once an activation key is correctly established on the satellite server.

We do something along these lines...

[root@rhelserver] # subscription-manager register --org="your_correct_org_name" --activationkey="correct_activation_key_name" --force 

Doing this avoids passwords, downloads etc. Make sure to do an rpm -ivh of the katello-ca-consumer-latest.noarch.rpm which is a symbolic link to the correct rpm on your satellite (do this prior to the subscription-manager command above).

You may have to take additional steps if the system in question was joined to a different satellite server.

Regards,
RJ

These are the steps I needed. You may need to purge the existing /etc/rhsm/rhsm.conf But the Katello agent install should overwrite. I know I ran into other issues, but it is pretty straight forward... rpm -qa |grep katello yum remove katello??? yum clean all; rm -fr /var/cache/yum/*; rm -fr /var/cache/dnf/* subscription-manager remove --all; subscription-manager unregister; subscription-manager clean

curl --insecure --output katello-ca-consumer-latest.noarch.rpm https://<satellite.fqdn>/pub/katello-ca-consumer-latest.noarch.rpm If you do not have port 8080 open, then you can download the rpm from your satellite and upload. yum localinstall katello-ca-consumer-latest.noarch.rpm

subscription-manager register --org=#### --activationkey=####### --force