What specifically does a RHEL Smart Management Add-on include?

Latest response

I've been trying to figure this out for a while now and am coming up empty.  This link doesn't tell me anything:

http://www.redhat.com/products/enterprise-linux-add-ons/smart-management/

And the relevant paragraph on page 3 of this PDF:

http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/rhel/RHEL6_Add-ons_datasheet.pdf

is maddeningly vague.  Here is what it says:

Smart Management Add-On
Red Hat’s Smart Management Add-­On, when coupled with Red Hat Network Satellite, allows you to manage the complete lifecycle of your Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems. The Smart Management Add­On includes Red Hat Network Satellite management and provisioning modules that allow you to provision, patch, configure, and fully control your Red Hat Enterprise Linux development, test, and production systems.  You can also purchase an optional Red Hat Network Monitoring module. By proactively automating routine tasks such as patch management, you’ll have time to concentrate on other, higher value-­added tasks.

I am guessing this turns on some modules in an RHN subscription that are included with Satellite?  But what are the modules and what do they allow above and beyond a "normal" subscription?  If the customer has a Satellite subscription, does this add-on even make sense?

When I compare my own subscriptions - that do not include the Smart Management add-on - with a customer that does have the Smart-Management add-on, I don't see much difference.  

thanks

- Greg Scott

Smart Management Add-On
Red Hat’s Smart Management Add-­On, when coupled with Red Hat Network Satellite, allows you to manage the complete lifecycle of your Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems. The Smart Management Add-­On includes Red Hat Network Satellite management and provisioning modules that allow you to provision, patch, configure, and fully control your Red Hat Enterprise Linux development, test, and production systems.  You can also purchase an optional Red Hat Network Monitoring module. By proactively automating routine tasks such as patch management, you’ll have time to concentrate on other, higher value-­added tasks.
Smart Management Add-On
Red Hat’s Smart Management Add-­On, when coupled with Red Hat Network Satellite, allows you to manage the complete lifecycle of your Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems. The Smart Management Add-­On includes Red Hat Network Satellite management and provisioning modules that allow you to provision, patch, configure, and fully control your Red Hat Enterprise Linux development, test, and production systems.  You can also purchase an optional Red Hat Network Monitoring module. By proactively automating routine tasks such as patch management, you’ll have time to concentrate on other, higher value-­added tasks.
Smart Management Add-On
Smart Management Add-On
Red Hat’s Smart Management Add-­On, when coupled with Red Hat Network Satellite, allows you to manage the complete lifecycle of your Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems. The Smart Management Add-­On includes Red Hat Network Satellite management and provisioning modules that allow you to provision, patch, configure, and fully control your Red Hat Enterprise Linux development, test, and production systems.  You can also purchase an optional Red Hat Network Monitoring module. By proactively automating routine tasks such as patch management, you’ll have time to concentrate on other, higher value-

Smart Management Add-­On
Red Hat’s Smart Management Add-­On, when coupled with Red Hat Network Satellite, allows you
to manage the complete lifecycle of your Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems.
The Smart Management Add-­On includes Red Hat Network
Satellite management and provisioning modules that allow

Responses