Handy new tool, XSOS

Latest response

Hi Team,

I wanted to take a moment to introduce everyone to a tool written by one of our own, Ryan Sawhill.  Ryan saw a need to quickly and accurately parse an sosreport and developed xsos

https://github.com/ryran/xsos  

This tool will not only parse an existing, extracted sosreport, but will scan the system its being run on and provide relevant system data.

In Ryan's own words:

The goal of xsos is to make it easy to instantaneously gather information about a system together in an easy-to-read-summary, whether that system is the localhost on which xsos is being run or a system for which you have an unpacked sosreport.

There is tons of useful amazing instructive data available to normal users (not to mention root) on a Linux system, but by design, this information is spread out across myriad files. Some of it even requires commands to parse through.

xsos will attempt to make it easy, parsing and calculating and formatting data from dozens of files (and commands) to give you a detailed overview about a system, or -- if requested -- xsos will only parse one file (e.g. with --mem or --cpu) or output from one command (e.g. with --ip or --ps).

New features are being added all the time -- see the tracker to have a look at some of the things that are already in line to be worked on.

Parameters available include:

# xsos -h

Usage: xsos [DISPLAY OPTIONS] [-abocmdleinsp] [SOSREPORT ROOT]

or:  xsos [DISPLAY OPTIONS] {--B|--C|--M|--D|--L|--I|--N|--P FILE}...

or:  xsos [-?|-h|--help]

or:  xsos [-U|--update]

Display system info from localhost or extracted sosreport

Content options:

-a, --all      show everything

-b, --bios     show info from dmidecode

-o, --os       show release, hostname, uptime, loadavg, cmdline

-c, --cpu      show info from /proc/cpuinfo

-m, --mem      show info from /proc/meminfo

-d, --disks    show info from /proc/partitions + dm-multipath

-l, --lspci    show info from lspci

-e, --ethtool  show info from ethtool

-i, --ip       show info from ip addr (BASH v4+ required)

-n, --net      show info from /proc/net/dev

-s, --sysctl   show important kernel sysctls

-p, --ps       inspect running processes via ps

I would encourage you to grab the latest version from git and give it a run.  

Ryan LOVES feedback,  if you have any feedback, enhancement requests etc, please let us know.

Thank you!

Jim Lyle, RHCE

Technical Account Manager(TAM)

Responses