Troubleshooting iSCSI targets that should be identical

Posted on

Somewhere along the way in my development I must have made a typo and cannot determine where it might be. I have been setting up iSCSI targets on a server laptop, with an external SSD containing ext4 partitions for mounting/storage. At one point, I had 3 targets with installed/bootable images for my diskless machines to PXE boot to. Now that I've removed one computer from my system, I decided to clear out as much clutter and recreate two targets from scratch.

Here's where it gets weird: I can install either image to iSCSI Target A, but when I try either image install on Target B, I get the following error after it performs the pre-install checks and successfully saves the storage configuration:

Configuring storage
Creating disklabel on /dev/sdb
Creating biosboot on /dev/sdb1
Creating ext4 on /dev/sdb2
Creating lvmpv on /dev/sdb3
Creating ext4 on /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-tmpDir
============================================
Error

An error occurred while activating your storage configuration.
(FSError('format failed: 1',), '/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-tmpDir')

When I check iscsiadm it says both sessions are logged in and running, and their disk partitions look identical in both the Disks GUI utility and with lsblk and parted. I have completely removed the original directories where the .img files were and recreated them. With targetcli, I recreated the targets/LUNs/backstores/ACLs and they look identical to each other. Each partition has an ext4 filesystem on it and is mounted at the respective directory hosting the .img file.

At this point I am considering re-imaging my server laptop and completely starting from scratch since it seems that almost overnight the functionality has changed. If anyone has idea of a file/directory/setting that I may have missed, please enlighten me. Thank you in advance!

Responses