RHEL 7 Beta: Creating a Satellite kickstart - "No trees were found"

Latest response

Hello All!

So I've got a couple spare cycles to begin playing with RHEL 7 beta.

I've generated a new Satellite certificate to get access to the RHEL 7 beta "everything" channel, and I've fully synched that channel down.

The channel appears fine, and the actual kickstart tree hierarchy is all there in the satellite server.

I've restarted cobblerd and rhn-satellite

When trying to create a new kickstart template for RHEL 7, I get the following error:

" No trees were found for the selected channel "

Anyone gotten past this yet?

Thanks!

Responses

This response will be all over the place as I can only make assumptions due to the fact that I am not an early-adopter like yourself ;-)

Since I have been playing with Spacewalk, I have learned that Satellite manages a few things for you (versus what Spacewalk has you do manually). One of those tasks is creating a Kickstartable Tree.

I wonder if you need to create a Distribution and point it at the ks dir? You can find it under Systems | Kickstart | Distributions. Yours is likely empty (like mine). When I went to create a new Distribution, I only had my existing Base Channels to add to (I don't have RHEL 7). I think you need to add your base channel and point to your new ks directory for RHEL 7. Also - in Spacewalk I noticed there is a new option for Channel Creation under Installer Generation for RHEL 7. I don't know what that option implies, and whether your Satellite System will be able to accommodate the differences?

When you did your cobbler sync, did it populate the tftpboot directory with the new RHEL 7 bits?

Does anyone know whether adding RHEL 7 (as a beta) will break Satellite once RHEL 7 GAs?

James,
Thanks very much for your help!
In Redhat Satellite, I'd never before had to create a distribution (eg: for RHEL 6). In this case, perhaps because it's beta, I did have to create a distribution.

Tried a kickstart and got a python traceback pretty quick.

"AttributeError: 'YumBase' object has no attribute 'preconf'

Oh well. I might back away from this for a couple weeks and let some of the smarter people no doubt also working on this get some of the heavy lifting done.

It's times like these that, for me, solidify the value in having Satellite (and support from Red Hat ;-) It's amazing how many moving pieces there are and all the coordination that goes on with all those pieces... anyhow, I digress!

I suspect that you need to rebuild the repo files. I bet if you try again tomorrow, it will work fine. Or - you can accelerate the resolution by doing the following:

cd /var/cache/rhn/repodata
ls -lart

Just grab a screengrab of what things look like before you start.

Login as THE Satellite Adminstrator
Click on Admin | Task Schedules
Under "Bunch", click channel-repodata-bunch
on the next page, click Single Run Schedule.

Now, check the directories in /var/cache/rhn/repodata again. I believe you will see that your new RHEL 7 channel has been updated.

My only word of caution (as I eluded to earlier), when testing this be sure to not put yourself in a situation that might break things when they go GA later. For example, I had tried to add my own distribution tree (outside of Satellite) and I tried to mount the ISO as http://server/ks/RHEL-6.4-x86_64. Which REALLY broke some stuff as http://server/ks is a dynamically generated url based on how Satellite expects things to be distributed. So, as logical as it would seem to add your test in a manor consistent with how you expect to see things normally would seem... it might not do what you expect ;-)

UPDATE: I now see from your other posts that you have a handle on Satellite. It's tough to gauge a response on the forum ;-)

Didn't work for me on RHEL 7 RC. I didn't create a distribution. Is that a prereq for successful running of the schedule.

Hey all, I just created a Satellite FAQ : keep the questions coming!

https://access.redhat.com/site/node/649023

Thanks Andrius, looking forward to the base channel iso dumps for rhel 7.

Oh, when I went to https://access.redhat.com/site/node/649023, it returned with:
"Access denied"

 Updated May 13 2014 at 2:57 PM

You do not have permission to access the page you 
requested. If this is knowledge content, it may 
be unpublished or retired. Documents may be 
retired when they are outdated, duplicated, or 
no longer necessary. Please try searching the 
Customer Portal for the most current, published 
information.