Patching RHEL 7.6 to 7.9 [but remain 7.6]

Latest response

Hi community, how do I patch my RHEL 7.6 to 7.9 where after I have done the patching the system will remain the version 7.6 and not 7.9. Thanks in advance!

Responses

Hi Benjamin,

I do not understand what you want to do?

You want to update to RHEL 7.9, but still the system needs to show that it runs 7.6?

What is the reason you want to do this?

The way to achieve it is to change the content of /etc/redhat-release and/or /etc/system-release.

Be aware that some applications have much more dependencies on RHEL 7.6 than just the OS version number.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Hi Jan Gerrit,

I'm looking to perform an offline patch on my RHEL 7.6 to 7.9 and say after I finish patching the system it must remain the version 7.6 and not upgraded to 7.9 (Just for some experimental idea). Is there a solution to this?

This gets into the rather fuzzy idea of what version a RHEL install becomes when subscribed to the main channel with updates applied piecemeal.

Like Jan says, the contents of /etc/redhat-release provide a version number, but that's a different thing than the packages which are installed.

So what do you consider to be "RHEL 7.6" and "RHEL 7.9"?

If you install new systems from the relevant ISO minor version, the result is clear. Installing from the RHEL 7.6 disc provides you RHEL 7.6 and so on.

What if you install RHEL 7.6 then update just the kernel package to the kernel provided in RHEL 7.9 so uname -r provides the later version but nothing else is upgraded. What version is your RHEL then?

What if you install RHEL 7.6 and upgrade just the redhat-release package so /etc/redhat-release now says "RHEL 7.9" but nothing else is upgraded. What version is your RHEL then?

What if you install RHEL 7.2, then do nothing until RHEL 7.6 comes out and update some random packages, then do nothing until RHEL 7.9 comes out and update a few other different random packages. What version is your RHEL then?

If you want to always remain within a particular minor version's packages, we do offer the longer-life EUS releases. Those require you subscribe the system to a different channel (not the main Server channel) and they'll only contain bug fixes on top of the original minor version packages. However, RHEL 7.6 EUS ended in May so it's unlikely you want to remain on an old minor version which won't ever be updated.

Ultimately, you need to quantify your requirements more precisely than just a minor version. You could use things like specific package versions or the Application Compatibility Guide to achieve this.

I've seen some "game the system" by omitting the update of the "redhat-release-server" RPM however, please see the answers provided by Jamie and Jan above. Doing the thing I mentioned overall brings you to 7.9, even if redhat-release-server only shows 7.6. I would recommend against this and just do a full upgrade Whatever vendor is not supporting your RHEL at anything above 7.6 should stand to the pressure of supporting 7.9.

If whatever vendor is not interested in supporting 7.9, then I'd recommend going to version 8.current and come up with another third-party product that will support your needs that can use version 8.current. (I'd recommend going to 8.current anyway concurrently, make a new server and use a different product that does not have this limitation).

Kind Regards,
RJ