RHEL Product version different of Redhat release version from one node

Latest response

Hi,
I am trying to figure out why I have difference on two nodes of my Redhat Cluster.
The first has the same Release version and product version of Redhat which 8.2.
The second has a release version of RHEL 8.2 and the Product Version of 8.4.
Both are managed through Redhat Satellite.
The commands I type to get those information are:

cat /etc/*redhat (for release version)
subscription-manager list (for Rhel product version)

The problem caused by this situation is that I have different version of packages and I think is due to this case.
Regards,

Eloge B.

Responses

Hi Eloge Bapfunya,

Examine the file /etc/redhat-release with cat /etc/redhat-release and also rpm -qa redhat-release and see if they match. The last command tells you the rpm redhat-release-8.x (where "x" will be the minor release, maybe 8.2 in your situation).

For subscription-manager things, examine the output of subscription-manager status and https://access.redhat.com/solutions/2058823. Consider examining your repositories with:

# subscription-manager refresh
# subscription-manager attach --auto
# yum clean all
# yum repolist

Regards,
RJ

Thank you for your feedback. Please find full output from the node that has Product version different from Release version:

[root@node2 ~]$ rpm -qa redhat-release
redhat-release-8.2-1.0.el8.x86_64
[root@node2 ~]$
[root@node2 ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 8.2 (Ootpa)
[root@node2 ~]$
[root@node2 ~]$ subscription-manager list
+-------------------------------------------+
    Installed Product Status
+-------------------------------------------+
Product Name:   Red Hat Enterprise Linux for x86_64
Product ID:     479
Version:        8.4
Arch:           x86_64
Status Details:
Starts:         03/01/2019
Ends:           02/28/2022

I would add that I execute suggested commands without any changes and both nodes are up to date. The commands are:

# subscription-manager refresh
# subscription-manager attach --auto
# yum clean all
# yum repolist

Both nodes run the same kernel, the only difference is on the Product Version returned by the command subscription-manager list. Thank you again for your help.

Regards,

Eloge B.

Hello Eloge Bapfunya,

That seems potentially irregular. I believe you'll have to take this up with Red Hat with a case unless someone else can see something I've missed. All the systems I currently have are RHEL 8.4.

Before opening a case, perhaps try the subscription-manager commands from Sadashiva Murthy M at that discussion.

Kind Regards,
RJ

Thank you for your support RJ Hinton. I tried commands from Sadashiva Murthy M without any changes. I should open a case with Red hat as you suggested. Regards,

Eloge B.

Wish you well with this Eloge Bapfunya

Regards,
RJ