RHEL7.9 on new Dell 7750 precision laptop

Latest response

This is a very confusing problem. Have installed RHEL7.9 on 5 identical Dell laptops with no real issues (Driver for internal NIC not withstanding) but this laptop began getting a blank screen on boot. When I try to do a reinstall, if I boot to a RHEL7.9 install DVD I get a blank screen, but if I use a RHEL7.8 DVD it boots into install as normal. Anyone seen this issue before. I can install 7.8 and then update to 7.9 but I am afraid it will just go back to the same issues it had before. Trying to solve the boot hang issue as it may be the same root cause. Note the laptop does have NVIDIA card installed.

Responses

Hi Kevin,

Please check if adding nouveau.modeset=0 to the kernel boot parameters before booting from the medium solves the problem. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Kevin,

Additional information : If the instruction I provided worked, please add the option on the first boot of the installed system too,
and once logged in - either add the parameter to /etc/default/grub ... or alternatively - install the proprietary NVIDIA drivers. :)

Regards,
Christian

To add to what my astute friend Christian mentioned,

The original poster, Kevin mentioned the need of this on RHEL 7, so that link is first. The second is for those who might use RHEL8.

Kind Regards,
RJ

Thanks for having added the links to the NVIDIA drivers installation instructions, RJ ... very good idea ! :)

Regards,
Christian

But of course Christian :)

Regards,
RJ

Thanks for the modeset suggestions. I already have that in the configuration in order to install the proprietary NVIDIA driver. Working on this issue I found one problem that may have been adding to it. The MOK database was full and out of room and I had to clear it. That seems to have been caused by multiple installs (initial Win 10, RHEL8, then RHEL7, then reset to Win 10 twice, then back to RHEL7) in secure boot mode. That was really causing some issues which went away when cleared. Have RHEL7 reinstalled now and after install of Nvidia driver it at least quit shutting down spontaneously.

Hi Kevin,

Glad to read that you made some progress. You may consider disabling Secure Boot.
As far as I know the Windows system will boot in Secure Boot mode nevertheless ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Unfortunately, secure boot along with RHEL7 is required on this laptop so I have to deal with the issues and extra steps it causes. I did find that RHEL8 works pretty flawlessly on these models (it's supported by Dell) but RHEL7 is not supported and is a struggle.