When will curl 7.78 get added in RHEL 7.x? After downloading Curl from a third party source leads to error during "yum installs"

Latest response

Currently RHEL 7.x supports curl 7.29 and curl 7.2x does not support HTTP2 protocol.
Curl 7.78 supports HTTP2 protocol, and I require it for my project.
I had installed it from city-fan.org repo.
However this leads to a problem during yum install. I wanted to install bind and bind-utils, but got this error:
https://cdn.redhat.com/content/dist/rhel/server/7/7Server/x86_64/os/Packages/p/python-ply-3.4-11.el7.noarch.rpm: [Errno 14] curl#35 - "security library failure."

Responses

Hi Priyodarshini Dhar,

I guess it is better to open a support case.

As fellow customers we do not know the release dates of packages or if the functionality will be provided via a backport.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Thanks for your reply. I did open support case, but as RHEL 7.6 is now in maintenance, Curl will be not be updated.

Inspection of the curl source code for RHEL 8 and recent versions of Fedora leads me to believe that version 7.78 is unlikely to ever be added to RHEL 7.

The spec file for the curl rpm uses the RemovePathPostfixes directive which was added in rpm 4.13.0. RHEL 7, as far as I can tell, has always used rpm 4.11.x, so the source code won't even build without significant modifications to the spec file.

Of course, one could always create a local build of curl for RHEL 7, but the needed changes to the spec file are non-trivial, in my assessment.

RHEL 7 is in the "Maintenance Support 2" development phase, it is only receiving security and bugfix errata.

Enhancements like new software versions are not done in RHEL 7 any more.

The RHEL lifecycle is at: https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/

If you require newer curl than is in RHEL7, and you intend to use all supported components, then we invite you to try RHEL8.

Another option might be to run your application in a container, where the container base image contains the newer curl. Again you'd want to start with the RHEL8 base image.