RHEL 8.4 support for SAP HANA

Latest response

Hello Friends:

When preparing RHEL 8.4 on VMware, for Hana Express binary install, running => ansible-playbook <xxx.yml> got below error:

TASK [sap-hana-preconfigure : assert] *******************************************************************
fatal: [localhost]: FAILED! => {
"assertion": "ansible_distribution_version in \"['8.0', '8.1', '8.2']\"",
"changed": false,
"evaluated_to": false,
"msg": "The RHEL release 8.4 is not supported for SAP HANA!"
}
PLAY RECAP *********************************************************************************************************************************
localhost : ok=62 changed=0 unreachable=0 failed=1 skipped=18 rescued=0 ignored=3

Everything before this step worked fine, following Edward Jin's blog.
Could you please suggest any remedy or should I try with lower ver. ?

Thanks and Regards.

Responses

Hi Atanu,

As per the SAP HANA on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Support Matrix : RHEL 8.0/8.1/8.2 is supported - RHEL 8.4 unfortunately not.
So, I would suggest to use : https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/241/ver=/rhel---8/8.2/x86_64/product-software ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian - Sure will try that . Just before I wipe out - do you think tweaking any parameters in /usr/share/ansible/roles/sap-hana-preconfigure/defaults/main.yml like making sap_hana_preconfigure_min_rhel_release_check: no (default yes) will help or any other parameter ? Just in case the difference is cosmetic between 8.2 & 8.4 . Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

Hi Atanu,

I don't think that's a good idea ... there must be a reason why RHEL 8.4 is not supported - yet. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian - Alrite then - will try with ver you suggested.

Best Regards.

You're welcome, Atanu ! I wish you good luck and much success. :)

Regards,
Christian

All,

Be aware that the SAP wiki is not always the source to rely on. The referred SAP notes, which can only be opened by customers with a support contract are reliable.

So I can only advise to check out: SAP Note 2009879, if you can access it.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Hi Jan - Will keep that in mind.

Best Regards.

Hi Jan,

The SAP Note 2009879 is included/listed in the Wiki, so I think customers can rely on the (official) SAP Wiki. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Atanu,

If asked a fellow customer, John T Mills, he has access to SAP Note 2009879, he confirmed Christian's finding that SAP HANA 2.0 is not supported on RHEL 8.4 yet.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Hi Jan - Thanks so much for taking time to clarify with real time customer.

Best Regards.

RHEL 8.4 is now supported for SAP HANA 2.0 latest release. May be the ansible roles need to be updated to include 8.4 support