RHEL_7

Latest response

New to Red Hat, how do I download security updates for RHEL_7.

Responses

Hi Dorothy,

Welcome to our community ! :) Just open a terminal and execute the command sudo yum update.

Regards,
Christian

Hi Dorothy,

Is this related to the question below https://access.redhat.com/solutions/7227

I would suggest to setup a local repository server.

From there I would download the rpms.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Hi Jan,

Setting up a local repository server only makes sense when one has to patch a lot of servers. If one has only a
few servers, it is better to connect them directly to the Red Hat CDN to avoid downloading "tons of GB's" ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Dorothy,

Jan Gerrit made me aware of the fact that the system you are talking about doesn't have internet access ...
If that's true, you can download updates from a machine that has internet access and install them manually.

But this is quite inconvenient, so perhaps setting up a local repository makes sense. But internet access for
at least one machine is mandatory, otherwise downloading packages or reposync won't be possible at all. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Dorothy,

To setup a local reposerver the article: https://access.redhat.com/solutions/23016 is a good start.

As Christian mentions, it is a lot of effort, so do not do this if you are talking about a single server to patch. It is better to connect the server to the internet (if required via a proxy).

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Dorothy,

I kinda believe you really mean how do you perform an update as the others above have replied to. This that I've added is just one more additional tidbit besides what my colleagues have posted.

That being said, if you look in the (man)ual page of yum, you'll also find this:

--downloadonly
              Download the resolved package set without performing any
              rpm transaction (install/upgrade/erase).

But I'm not clear if that is what you are hunting for, so please do see the other remarks above.

This video from Red Hat has some very basic information on using yum. This next link is Red Hat's youtube channel with a search of yum topics. The results at that will be like a buffet, some things you will find useful, others good, others maybe less immediately useful.

Regards,
RJ