Suggestions please...

Latest response

I am in need of a solution for my PRIVATE server. It's an OLDER DELL server that I want to use simply for storage. I have tried the Free solutions that a lot of people say are "THE BEST" and the results have been catastrophic at best. I have LOST so much data due to the fact that their software does not support the HARDWARE raid in the system I have. I have lost over 200k files and feel like you get what you pay for now. SO.. Here I am.. I do not need a $3000 solution just need the OS to run a FTP server and be able to handle up to 24 drives on a HARDWARE raid setup. What do you guys suggest that I run on that unit. I do need something that is dependable as my data is important to me and can not be messing with corrupt drives due to poor programming and excuses. Sorry for the sharp tone but I am so over the FREE solutions of that really do not work. I mean a FREE RedHat if such a thing exists might be acceptable if there is one.. Thank you all in advance.

Responses

Hi John,

This forum certainly sympathise with your experiences and will try to help you.

Lot of details are missing to help us offer advice. For example, we do not know how you lost your data (hacking, operating system crash, and so on), and what operating system you were using.

I started using Linux back in 1994 and built a successful Australian ISP based on Slackware distribution in 1995 that ran a good business for 10 years, so I think I have some experience I can share with you :)

All modern Linux distributions can help you. And Red Hat offers several choices:

1. CentOS Stream is the continuously delivered platform that becomes the next minor version of RHEL.

It is a replacement for CentOS, which I have personally used in private and commercial space many times.

2. From what I read, as of February 1, 2021, Red Hat makes RHEL available at no cost for small-production workloads—with "small" defined as 16 systems or fewer. This access to no-cost production RHEL is by way of the newly expanded Red Hat Developer Subscription program, and it comes with no strings - in Red Hat's words, "this isn't a sales program, and no sales representative will follow up."

Likewise, if you prefer some other Linux distribution, there are plenty of them. I personally stick to two of them, in addition to RHEL: Ubuntu and SuSE.

Since you have RAID hardware, you should never lose any files.

And if you use some kind of RAID-1 (mirroring) for your operating system, then, you will avoid losses due to single disk problems as well. Whether you use hardware RAID, or software RAID (yes, Linux supports it perfectly) is irrelevant. Both are good.

Regards,

Dusan Baljevic (amateur radio VK2COT)

The data loss using the "other" solution was due to Corruption of the drive data. They blamed it on the fact that I have HARDWARE raid and wanted me to re-wire my whole servers back plane and everything to basically perform a RAID castration on the server. NOT a good solution for well... many reasons. I do not use mirroring even tho after this I may when I find a new solution opt this time for that type of setup. As of this time only using each drive as its own RAID-0 I believe that's what it is called. This is how the data was lost from the corrupting of the files. I sadly feel that this was 100% caused by the software not playing nice with the raid hardware and was also told this by the other people. Also was told that their software beats up raid interfaces and frys them out so... Now as far as the FREE version of redhat where can i find that download. I have been looking on the site and not found it. Can you please direct me to the proper link. Thanks again..

Hi John,

Data loss due to software failures is a hard issue to crack.

Bugs can be found everywhere.

RHEL free of cost has one disadvantage, you get no right to open support cases, only the right to download update and fixes.

https://developers.redhat.com/topics/linux is the place to get your free of costs subscription.

• Click the download RHEL button
  • on the login page, if applicable choose "Don't have an account? Create one now."

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Are there GUI interfaces for Redhat for FTP? and what one is the best in your opinion

Hi John,

I hope someone will be able to answer that for you.

I do not use ftp, due to its lack of ssl encryption.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Hi again,

I am concerned about your data loss in hardware RAID. That does not happen very easily or often. Pity it is too late to help you investigate further.

John, I assume you want FTP server with GUI on Linux server?

Whilst we all would prefer to convert you to a more secure SFTP protocol, whatever you reason to use plain FTP, there are options you can consider. For example:

a) ProFTPD.

ProFTPD comes with a command-line interface (CLI) only, but there are several third-party Graphical user interfaces (GUI) existing for ProFTPD. I personally used Webmin module to manage ProFTPD in the past.

Some of the high-powered sites using it:

http://www.proftpd.org/sites.html

b) Pure-FTPd.

GUI interfaces like PureAdmin and Webmin module...

Regards,

Dusan Baljevic (amateur radio VK2COT)

I have been looking @ proftpd but there is nothing showing how to install it on RedHat, How do i install and configure it?

Thank you for the suggestions. I am trying to run RHEL on my server. Just need to figure out the FTP.. but that's in another thread.. Thank you ALL for the suggestions it has caused me to start to migrate to RHEL So where we go... I am excited and thankful for all the help so far.. If you have the answer for the FTP please see my other thread for that. Thanks again

John Perry, you can use vsftp for ftp if you want an ftp server which comes with Red Hat repositories. I see Dusan gave you some good info. I'm glad you discovered the developer's edition of Red Hat for non-production use.

Let us know if we can help further

Regards,
RJ

John Perry,

I'm not sure if you have your RAID array already established, but know that "raid 0" has no "fault tolerance", so if you lose just one drive in that "raid array", the entire collection of data with that storage you have established is gone.

PC Mag has an article on raid levels, and there's more than just "mirror" raid. Additionally, Red Hat's description of RAID levels is at this link.

Without going into a long description, raid 0 is just a number of disks chained together with no fault tolerance, you lose just one member of the disks, all data is at risk/gone at that point. RAID 1 is "mirroring" which is usually good for an operating system load. raid 5 is popular, and I've seen Google use RAID 5 for an operating system on an appliance we owned, which is interesting. RAID 5 is often used where you have some data you care about, and you can lose one (1) disk and only 1 and not lose your data (monitor it and make sure to replace it soon if you do lose a member). RAID 6 is like RAID 5, except you can lose two (2) disk members and not lose your data. There are more RAID levels than I've placed in this reply, and the links I added describe this more.

The crux of the differences in the above is fault tolerance, and the links above also give examples of other forms of RAID that are optimized for speed.

Regards,
RJ