Document which provides total list of packages in Minimal installation

Latest response

Hi,

Is there any official document which has the total list of packages that are installed when we select the Minimal software installation without any add-on. (total rpm list)

Thanks,
Malinda

Responses

Hi Malinda,

I have never seen such a list, you may need to open a support case to get this.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the update.

Best Regard, Malinda

Hi Mike,

This show all available packages, not the list for a minimal install. Am I mistaken?

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

No, you are not Jan ... the Package Browser lets you search, and access all packages. :)
Mike, Malinda looks for a list of packages that are included in the minimal server install.

Regards,
Christian

Malinda Jayarathne

I see you selected a tag of "rhel_7" when you created this discussion.

In the absence of there being a current list of rpms from a fresh minimal load, this is an alternative to get the answer you wish. There is a way to acquire a list of rpms resulting from a minimal installation, bear with this below. So far this discussion mentions that there is no total list of the resulting rpms from a minimal installation. However you COULD just do a minimal install and then run rpm -qa > /tmp/total_list_after_minimal_installation.txt

See this solution at Red Hat https://access.redhat.com/solutions/36795

If you go to the Red Hat Kickstart Generator at this link https://access.redhat.com/labs/kickstartconfig/, you can select which version of RHEL.

I made a minimal kickstart using that and results in this

lang en_US
keyboard us
timezone America/New_York --isUtc
rootpw $1$G0OYiZGe$RMXYXHfZ14ulDHClTjgx9. --iscrypted
#platform x86, AMD64, or Intel EM64T
reboot
cdrom
bootloader --location=mbr --append="rhgb quiet crashkernel=auto"
zerombr
clearpart --all --initlabel
autopart
auth --passalgo=sha512 --useshadow
selinux --enforcing
firewall --enabled --ssh
skipx
firstboot --disable
%packages
@^minimal
kexec-tools
%end

This is an optional excerpt for the kickstart mentioned at the CentOS wiki https://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/KickStart

# this is an excerpt from a Kickstart
#packages to install
%packages --nobase --excludedocs
#do not install base
@core
%end

Also note this discussion at the CentOS discussion area

Now this below describes doing a minimal installation using a local DVD.

• Boot into a binary RHEL 7.9 installation DVD (4.x GB)
  • The "Anaconda" boot loader appears, select the option to load the system (top option)
  • Language selection - pick your choice
  • Next menu that appears is "Installation Summary" You will see 3 categories here 1) Localization (make changes as needed) 2) Software see note below 3) System (Installation Destination, automatic partitioning is default, however adjust for your own needs/Network & Host name and some other things)

Software Section (middle of graphical anaconda page) NOTE You will note by default see at right "Minimal Install" which is automatically set (at least right now as I test this).

Proceed with the installation as needed making selections as required. The resulting "Kickstart" file will be created after the system is built at /root/anaconda-ks.cfg

So in short, either 1) build a kickstart as mentioned above, or 2) use a DVD and run run rpm -qa > /tmp/total_list_after_minimal_installation.txt, either way, a kickstart or a minimal install from a DVD and then run the same rpm command and redirect the output as mentioned.

In the absence of there being a current list of rpms from a fresh minimal load, this is an alternative to get the answer you wish.

Regards,
RJ

One word, RJ ... AWESOME ! Glad to having you around my friend. :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks much Christian - you as well, I did borrow some material I wrote from previous discussions here.

Hope it helps

Regards
RJ

Hope it helps, RJ ? I'm pretty sure it does ! :)

Let me take this very opportunity to thank you, RJ ... Thank you so much for all your valuable contributions in our community. :)
You explain things in a way that the "noobest noob" can understand them ... you are doing one thing that is essential to getting
problems resolved : You are "thinking in the head of a customer". We can be glad to have such a honorable member. Thank you.

Regards,
Christian

Thanks again Christian!

Regards,
RJ

You're welcome, RJ ! Honestly meant. :)

Malinda Jayarathne,

Please let us know if this works for you (see the post I made earlier with instructions).

Regards,
RJ