RHEL6 Firefox mailto Thunderbird broken

Latest response

Using Firefox Quantum 60.8.0esr and Thunderbird 78.3.1 on RHEL6, any attempt to 'email link' from Firefox that should open Thunderbird results in:

Thunderbird is already running, but is not responding. To use Thunderbird, you must first close the existing Thunderbird process, restart your device, or use a different profile.

This is new since the recent thunderbird-78.3.1-1.el6_10.x86_64 update.

Any thoughts on where I might look for help?

Thanks.

Responses

Hi Terri,

Well, all I can say is, you are running a completely outdated system, please consider migrating to RHEL 8, or to RHEL 7 ...
Minor and/or major issues have to be expected when running such an old operating system, which is close to being EOL.

Having that said - I don't think it has much to do with the RHEL 6 system itself, but rather with those two applications. :)
You have upgraded to Thunderbird 78, but you are using Firefox 60 at the same time. So, I recommend upgrading to 78.

Regards,
Christian

Yes, believe me, I understand I'm on an outdated system! But for many reasons, we're stuck there for a while longer. And though I appreciate RH putting out a new version of thunderbird, it's too bad it seems to have broken what I thought was a straight forward "mailto" communication. I don't think asking for Firefox or Thunderbird help is reasonable since presumably it was RH that built the new thunderbird package.

Well Terri, but why don't you upgrade to Firefox 78 ? I assume you're running RHEL 6.10 at least. :)
https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/firefox/78.3.0-1.el6_10/x86_64/fd431d51/package

Regards,
Christian

Hmm. That's a good question. And probably part of my problem. Apparently I put in a version lock for firefox-60.8.0 back a year ago (that I'd forgotten about in the meantime). Now, what was it that firefox > 60 broke a year ago. I'll have to investigate more. Thanks for the reminder.

You're welcome, Terri ! :) Please let us know if upgrading to Firefox 78 could solve your problem.

Regards,
Christian

Yes! The mailto from Firefox now works again. Thank you for alerting me to the need to do a Dope Slap. :-)

Cheers.

Great Terri ! Glad I could point you into the right direction ... and that the problem is resolved. :)

Regards,
Christian