RHEL 7.9 GA released - no longer in beta

Latest response

Good day

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.9 is now out of beta and Globally Available at this link.

If you are a developer using it for non-production needs, you can go to http://developers.redhat.com and get a Red Hat Linux Server at no cost (you must agree to the use terms there).

Regards,
RJ

Responses

Here's an article by zdnet on RHEL 7.9.

Regards,
RJ

Thanks for the information, RJ ! I was just about posting the same ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Yeah.. Thanks RJ. That is going to be the last minor release for RHEL7.

RJ, thanks

What will support end for 7.9 , is it 1 year from date of release ?

Hi Sreedhar,

Check out Red Hat Enterprise Linux Life Cycle

It states 7.9 will be most likely be the last minor release, to be supported until june 30th 2024.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

assume support date is June 30 2024, is June 30 2024 maintenance support or EUS

Are you sure Sreedhar ? Usually my friend Jan Gerrit knows what he's saying ...
WOW - seems RHEL 7 is supported "until the end of eternity" ... (joke) :D :D :D

Jokes aside Sreedhar ... 7.9 is the last point release - you may want to consider migrating to "the
latest and greatest" RHEL 8 - lots of bug fixes, security enhancements - tons of new features ! :)

Regards,
Christian

"June 30th 20204" Jan Gerrit ? Joke ? Typo ? Or do you know more than we other Accelerators do know ? :D :D :D

Just came back and saw that it now reads : June 30th 2024 ... so it must have been a typo.
sudo systemctl stop jokes.service | sudo systemctl disable jokes.service :)

That service would have made it into EL7.10 if there was one. ;-)

Jan Gerrit is correct on this matter. The dates are documented in Red Hat Enterprise Linux Life Cycle. As RHEL 7 entered "Maintenance Support 2 Phase" in August, Red Hat is more restrictive with which bugs are fixed.

thanks Marc,

Confirming my understanding of the article.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

RHEL 6 I believe was only supposed to go to 6.9, but Red Hat made 6.10 anyway (I might be incorrect here).

Regards,
RJ

Hi RJ,

RHEL 5 went upto 5.11 to bundle all the post 5.10 errata just before the end of the life cycle.

So we will see around june 2024 what the final minor release number will be.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit