Baffled by the RHEL 8.3 beta dev subscription and registration

Latest response

Totally baffled by the secret magic things to allow the developer subscription for 8.3beta to accept updates from some repo somewhere. Baffled. I have had various subscriptions for years and years and usually they are enterprise licenses or just developer licenses. Sure they cost money and that is fine. However I fell away from RedHat when a lot of things where changing after version 7.4 and I simply went elsewhere. Trying to look at 8.3beta and the installation was the usual bulky anaconda graphical thing. That went fine. Afterwards I did try a trivial "yum update" and was told a mixture of confusing messages.

yum update

Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Error: There are no enabled repositories in "/etc/yum.repos.d", "/etc/yum/repos.d", "/etc/distro.repos.d".

OKay so some magic is needed. Something something magic.

So then I tried "# subscription-manager list --installed" which shows me that Red Hat Enterprise Linux for x86_64 Beta is in fact installed.

I know that. I installed it.

So then I tried :

subscription-manager attach

That just tells me :

Product Name: Red Hat Enterprise Linux for x86_64 Beta

Unable to find available subscriptions for all your installed products.

So that does not help.

Then I tried :

subscription-manager register --name=thishostname

This system is already registered. Use --force to override

What ??

subscription-manager list --available

This gives me a huge list of stuff. Piles and piles. Great. Available? I do see a magic "Pool ID" number thing that looks like uuid stuff. Great. Magic.

Then I try :

subscription-manager register --username dclarke --password mypasswordthing --auto-attach --force

That does something and kicks out mor magic numbers. HOWEVER the first bit of output says that The system with UUID magic-number-from-above has been unregistered.

WHAT ??

All local data removed
Registering to: subscription.rhsm.redhat.com:443/subscription
The system has been registered with ID: MORE-MAGIC-UUID-STUFF
etc etc etc ...

Great ??

Unable to find available subscriptions for all your installed products.

What is the magic ??

Is there a magic sequence of incantations and spells in some special magic order ??

Regardless yum does not work. There is some baffling magic to this.

Responses