Upgrade RHEL from 8.2 to 8.3

Latest response

Hello,

I have valid RHSM, so I can upgrade RHEL 7 to latest 8.2

But need to know;

Whether RHEL 8.2 can be upgraded to 8.3 beta ?
OR
Whether RHEL 7.8 can be upgraded to 8.3 beta ?

If NO, why it can not be upgraded, is it because 8.3 is still in beta ?
If Yes, how can I upgrade to 8.3

Thanks

Responses

Hi Wayne,

It is bad practise.

Even if it is technically possible you will loose all support. Beta's are just for testing new features. It might still be up to Red Hat to drop a feature.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Hi Wayne,

Adding to what Jan told you : Once RHEL 8.3 Final is generally available, you would have to reinstall the system anyway. :)
Why ? Well, the simple answer is that Red Hat for many (good) reasons decided not to offer upgrading from Beta to GA.

Please don't forget that RHEL aims at enterprise customers in the first place and these customers need ultimate stability.
Upgrading from GA to Beta and from Beta to GA may break the system and applications badly ... which means downtime !

Regards,
Christian

According to Supported in-place upgrade paths for Red Hat Enterprise Linux upgrading from RHEL 7.8 to RHEL 8.3 won't be supported (as a direct update using leapp) even when RHEL 8.3 Final is released as only updates to RHEL 8.even are planned, so you would have to update from RHEL 7.8 to RHEL 8.2 anyway, then (when it is released) from RHEL 8.2 to RHEL 8.3.

Hi Wayne,

Now that we've told you what is possible and what not, the "good old golden" rule still is valid. :)
Performing upgrades from one minor point release to the next minor point release is safe to do.
Upgrading from one major release to the next isn't recommended - perform a fresh installation.

Regards,
Christian

Thanks for all the quick responses. Via RHSM obviously RHEL 7.8 or 8.2 cannot be upgraded because still 8.3 is not GA yet.

Say I don't want to go for fresh installation, but can this be upgraded offline ? It can break, that is ok, but just wanted to know if this is possible, and if yes, then how ?

I am experimenting on my lab system, so no worries of breaking or downtime etc :)

Thanks

Hi Wayne,

I only found documentation for online updates, no documented way to do it offline.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Hi Wayne,

Theoretically you can mount the DVD, copy the content to a local directory - and then edit the repo files to use that directory.
But what would this be good for ? As I said, once RHEL 8.3 reaches GA, you would have to reinstall the system nevertheless. :)

Regards,
Christian