RedHat 7 Kickstart - not selecting any drives

Latest response

ran across something odd.. we been doing automated Red Hat kickstarts for more than a decade... for the first time, we set up a kickstart on a RH7 server.. everything goes normally.. and it discovers the drives.. and attaches them.. ( see image 1 ) but when it begins the automated install.. it says no drives are selected and there is no room (naturally since no drives are selected) (see image 2).. the kickstart template is a standard one we have used many times (although not on a RH7 kickstart server)… anyone experiencing this?

from our template - the pertinent lines -

bootloader --location=mbr --boot-drive=sda
zerombr
clearpart --all --initlabel --drives=sda
ignoredisk --only-use=sda
part /boot --fstype=ext4 --size=1000 --ondisk=sda
part pv.2 --fstype="lvmpv" --size=1 --grow --ondisk=sda
volgroup VolGroup00 --pesize=32768 pv.2
logvol / --fstype ext4 --name=root --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=40960
logvol /opt --fstype ext4 --name=ATT --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=51200
logvol swap --fstype swap --name=swap --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=10240
logvol /home --fstype ext4 --name=home --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=31920

Responses

I can't see the pictures unfortunately so I might be wrong, but when I ran into this I found that the drive wasn't getting labelled as sda so the kickstart couldn't select any drives. I fixed it with a %pre script that checks the drives in /dev/disk/by-id/ and writes the partitioning info to a temp file which the kickstart reads from

Hello Andy,

I've seen this specific issue occur once in a while. Just as a test, act as though you are going to do a plain load from a Red Hat binary DVD, namely as if you're going to do a manual load from the DVD itself.

The purpose of this is just to see how the storage is presented. Some servers do not use "sda" for presenting storage. I suspect this is the case with what you are describing and from the occasional server I have seen with this issue you describe. So this is one possible method I use on occasion to determine what the system is actually "seeing" for storage then make the change in the kickstart.

As you go through the various menu selections, you'll land at step 4 of this guide at Red Hat. The graphic in step 4 shows partitioning (go into the partitioning area, un-select automatic partitioning). The purpose of this here is to view what "disk" the installation DVD "sees".

The overwhelming majority of systems we have work with the "sda" partitioning (we use XFS, not ext4, that's a different discussion). Some servers may present the storage differently. Dell servers, for instance, have to make a virtual disk using the RAID BIOS before the disk is actually available to the system. We had a system from "Microsystems" that had a non-typical disk that was not "sda" and we had to change the disk name in the kickstart accordingly.

What manufacturer made the server you're having this issue with? Or is it a similar server you use commonly but perhaps with a different RAID controller? In short, how is this server different from the others (besides the obvious that it did not pick up and use "sda")?

Let us know how this goes,

Regards,
RJ

these are IBM Blades.. the Kickstart is running on HS23 and im trying to kickstart a HS21. In the past, weve had no issues kickstarting any of these IBM Blades with RedHat 4, 5 or 6 over the years.. this is the first time Im doing the kick from a RH7 Kickstart server. I did run a manual install via DVD image/ISO.. that still sees the drives ok and as /dev/sda like we have always seen.

I have a colleague in another organization who was successful kicking from a RH7 KS server and he and both looked and compared the templates and config files.. we couldn't find anything.. maybe its just something about the HS23 blade.. I will try the whole thing again by making a KS server on a RH7 HS22 blade thank you both for replying