Does Red Hat Enterprise Linux with Smart Virtualization has the same features as Red Hat Virtualization

Latest response

Hi,
Red Hat Enterprise Linux with Smart Virtualization Datasheet has very limited information. I am trying to compare it with RHV and Hyper-V.
My challenge is that i am not able to check the features in RHEL + Smart Virtualization datasheet that can be seen in RHV datasheet.
Is the features in RHV datasheet such as Highly available resources, Workload management, etc. also applicable in RHEL with Smart Virtualization since this are both running in KVM?
What are the limitations of RHEL + Smart Virtualization vs Hyper-V?

Responses

Hi Michael,

It is not a product, but a subscription where you have the choice to either run your Virtual Machines on RHV, RHEL+KVM or VMWare without a limit on the number of Virtual Machines on the host you attach the subscription to.

You cannot compare it to Hyper-V, you may want to ask a local Red Hat customer service representative, whether or not you can use this subscription for Hyper-V.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi Jan,

Thank you for your response. I am trying to see the different features of RHEL+ KVM with Smart Virtualization if it has on par capabilities vs RHV and Hyper-V. The reason being is we are looking for a type 2 hypervisor offering from Red Hat.

RHEL with KVM is managed purely by libvirt, so you would use something like the virt-manager GUI or virsh commandline to create VMs, configure them, put them up and down, etc. It's fairly simple compared to other modern VM management tools.

RHV comes with a more complete management tool which provides a web frontend to manage the virtualization environment, and that tool talks to hypervisors to manage VMs. This management is an open source project called "ovirt".

The RHV Manager and RHV hypervisors is fairly equivalent to how VMware vSphere talks to ESXi hypervisors, and I think equivalent to how Hyper-V Manager talks to Hyper-V hosts.

If you only need to run VMs on a single host, then probably RHEL with Smart Virt is fine.

If you're comparing to large managed solutions like vSphere and Hyper-V Manager, probably comparing to RHV is more appropriate. You might also want to consider Red Hat OpenStack Platform if you have more agile-like deployment needs.

Comparing exact features of all of these is outside my knowledge. Probably Red Hat Sales could provide more info there.

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for your response. I have seen this item in the datasheet "Red Hat Enterprise Linux with Smart Virtualization includes Red Hat Virtualization Manager, a centralized management feature with a search-driven graphical interface". I think this will enable RHEL + KVM to have a centralized manager like vsphere and hyper-V manager for multiple host. We are still checking for the Red Hat Open Stack Platform if this is also applicable.

Ah, that looks correct.

Then the "Smart Virtualization" appears to be just a product name which I hadn't heard of. I'm used to referring to that as just "Red Hat Virtualization (RHV)".

Hi Jamie, I think RHEL + Smart Virtualization is addon for RHEL + KVM for unlimited VM and centralized management that enables client to have a type 2 hypervisor or hosted Hypervisor. RHV is still a separate product designed for type 1 hypervisor. I am still checking the difference when it comes to feature difference aside from RHV has less overhead since this is baremetal install.