VM doesn't come up after kernel yum upgrade

Latest response

I was trying to upgrade the kernel on two VMs. I applied the patches given in the image file. I ran grubby set command to set the kernel and then rebooted. But the one VM didn't come up while other came up . Why is this behaviour?

Responses

Hi Narendra,

Some question arise:

What kind of VM? VMware, KVM, HyperV or Virtual box?

Do you see error messages on the virtual console?

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

It's KVM. No error messages on virtual console. I've developed a patching tool which will just upgrade and downgrade any patch of rpms. Whenever i run kernel rpms upgrade or downgrade, out of 21 VMs any 1 or 2 doesn't come up. This is random. When i upgrade/downgrade non-kernel rpms then the VMs always come up.

Narendra,

Yes or no, are you able to interrupt the boot process and go to any previous kernel? Do you have a snapshot? I'm curious why you had to use the grubby command to set the kernel? If your intention was to upgrade the kernel (and it seems perhaps the OS), the kernel rpm update would automatically adjust the grub file to use the latest kernel please see link in the next paragraph.

Regardless of what you do, make a backup of your grub.cfg file (is it UEFI or BIOS?), and (after yet another snapshot) consider running grub2-mkconfig see this solution, and keep in mind with that solution the example of using that command to create a new grub file.

Regardless, I do recommend before proceeding, please open a case with Red Hat.

Regards,
RJ

Yes, im able to go to previous kernel in case of interupt. I don't have snapshot. Grubby command is being used to set the kernel version after upgrade or downgrade. It's BIOS. I've developed a patching tool which will just upgrade and downgrade any patch of rpms. Whenever i run kernel rpms upgrade or downgrade, out of 21 VMs any 1 or 2 doesn't come up. This is random. When i upgrade/downgrade non-kernel rpms then the VMs always come up.

Yes, im able to go to previous kernel in case of interupt. I don't have snapshot. Grubby command is being used to set the kernel version after upgrade or downgrade. It's BIOS. I've developed a patching tool which will just upgrade and downgrade any patch of rpms. Whenever i run kernel rpms upgrade or downgrade, out of 21 VMs any 1 or 2 doesn't come up. This is random. When i upgrade/downgrade non-kernel rpms then the VMs always come up.