Problem in installing Redhat 8 on Vmware Workstation 14

Latest response

Hello everybody,

I'm new in Linux System, and I would like to install Redhat Entreprise on Vmware Workstation V14, but everytime I have the same problem,
(Error setting up base registory).
Configuration :
Redhat Entreprise 8.0
VMware V14,
Also, You can check the stepaway installation in captures,

Thank You

Attachments

Responses

It looks like you are using the boot iso rhel-8.0-x86_64-boot.iso which won't work by itself as it would need a local RHEL 8.0 repository to get the packages from. The RHEL 8.2 boot iso can be used as it supports authenticated access to central Red Hat repositories, but otherwise you need the full DVD.

Hi Machael, By first I thank you for your reactivity, So What can I do for resolving this problem ?

If I'm right, RHEL 8 Guest is only supported since VMware Workstation 15.1.

Hi Philippe, No, You can install it in VMware Workstation 14 (I did it),

Hi Ahmed,

Download and install the latest stable edition RHEL 8.2 ... Anaconda lets you configure the registration during the set up process. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Ahmed,

You may download the latest "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.2 Binary DVD" using this web link: https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/479/ver=/rhel---8/8.2/x86_64/product-software

This is the complete image file which provides all required packages and images to build RHEL8 system from scratch. All the best!

Hi Sadashiva,

Starting with the release of RHEL 8.2 it is possible to install the system by using the boot.iso, which lets users
download and install the latest stable packages during the set up process ... no need to use the full dvd. iso. :)
This is a big advantage and improvement, because users have a fully up-to-date system after the installation.

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian, But How can I do it ? We have to specify the repository link to download the packages, I need more clarification PLEASE,

Hi Ahmed,

In the Anaconda installer : Firstly, enable networking, then secondly register the system, and
thirdly ... if not already enabled, enable both, the BaseOS and the AppStream repositories. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian, I followed the steps, I enabled the networking, the registration step is after the step in case I think, Because I get the same result, and how about enabling the BaseOS and the AppStream repositories? more details please, Thanks

Hi Ahmed,

Yes, networking has to be enabled before you can register the system of course. :)
I've created a presentation, which shows how to do everything -> RHEL 8.2 Setup

Regards,
Christian

Hi Christian, I would like to thank you for your effort to help me, I've seen the presentation it's very helpful, but I couldn't pass to this step untill I installed the 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.2 Binary DVD'

Regards;

You're welcome, Ahmed ! :) If you use the boot ISO - you select "Red Hat CDN".
The BaseOS, and AppStream repositories are enabled by default automatically.

Regards,
Christian

Hi Sadashiva, I'll try it, It takes a bit time, (7.86 Go of Image ISO) Thanks a lot

Please don't forget to update this thread and let us know how you got it fixed. As Christian told before, that is a nice way of installing RHEL8.2 just by using the boot iso image which could get/download other required packages from Red Hat network. However, this approach may see a downside for anyone who is trying to get the system installed and would think of registering later. Otherwise, if someone has plans to stay with the base release packages which gets installed from the Binary DVD specifically for any POC or test environments then better to use the binary DVD images. Anyways, options would depend on user requirements.

Hi Sadashiva, Of course I'll Do, Regards;

Hi Sadashiva,

Thanks a lot my dear for helping and adicing me, I resolved it by Downloading and Installing the "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.2 Binary DVD", It's takes time, but it's worth,

Regards;

It is our pleasure in assisting you Ahmed.

Hi, Kindly use this link Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.2 Binary DVD Last modified: 2020-04-08 SHA-256 Checksum: 7fdfed9c7cced4e526a362e64ed06bcdc6ce0394a98625a40e7d05db29bf7b86 it worked in vmware v14pro without any error. thanks