back version of glibc on Red Hat 7 Enterprise 2.11-3

Latest response

Problem: Need support for a specific - old version of glibc for building software for another system (real old). The RH 7 OS does not need to use this specific version of GLIBC, I just need to use that library for build support.

The original goal was to setup the RH7 build machine as a 'cross compile' setup with the old libraries used only during the build/link phase.

I need a version of glibc 2.11.-3 to support a real old Linux system
I did not find a Red Hat 7 version of this package.

I tried building the glibc from the official tar ball; but the build process cores on Red Hat 7.x. My goal here was to setup an alt library for the build process while keeping the rest of the server running current.

I build the glibc under Red Hat 6, zero problems. I tared up the build directory to Red Hat 7, as you might expect the installation process fails (it tries to compile during this phase)

I have been able to install the back dated glibc without issue and RH 6.10
Test compiles seem to work, moved executables to the target machine without 'issues'. I need a lot of testing to verify everything works.

Note: The target machine is under a replacement process to get it at least to Red Hat 7. But that process has failed due to other issues so I am stuck providing support for that specific version of glibc. The target machine is locked down and OS updates will not be allowed.

Responses