RHEL 7.8 GA (globally available, thanks Jan for the link)

Latest response

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.8 is now GA

See this link for details. The release notes are here.

Regards,
RJ

Responses

This came out of nowhere. Wish we knew this was coming. We were in the middle of a planned OS upgrade of IBM Spectrum Scale hosts running RHEL 7.6, expecting an upgrade to 7.7. Guess we're not upgrading our Spectrum Scale; only 7.7 is supported and the kernel modules won't compile under 7.8.

This is what the Red Hat Satellite Server was invented for - you get 100% control over when patched/updated packages are made available to your systems (we patched our test systems today, and will do our production systems next week, all with a RHEL 7.7 patch set "frozen" as of Monday 3/30, the day before 7.8 was released).

Alternatively, an "EUS" subscription (Extended Update Support) would allow you to keep selected hosts on an older-than-current minor version of RHEL (so EUS would allow you to run 7.6 or 7.7 with current security updates; see https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/ for details & note that RHEL 7.7 with EUS provides full support including security patches until August, 2021).

It hit us as a surprise as well Daniel. I wish you well with the upgrades, even if they have to be apparently delayed.

I just built some virtual servers today at 7.7 for a customer that I could have had at 7.8 right away. I am pretty sure 7.8 was released today (3/31/2020). Incidentally, keep this link in mind for a trend of releases. I plan on monitoring this more closely too. We generally incur some pain when we upgrade a minor release.

Regards,
RJ

Hi RJ,

Thanks for the information ... I had expected this, because since of yesterday the RHEL 7.8 Beta was not available any longer. :)

Regards,
Christan

Hi Jan,

Forgot to thank you too ... Thank you as well - of course ! :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks RJ and Christian.

All happy updating

You're welcome, Jan Gerrit ! Already done ... upgrade went "smooth as butter" (once again) - not a single issue. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hope yours goes clean Jan - Glad yours did Christian.

I can only hope everyone else's experience will go as clean as your examples Christian.

In my environment, workstations going from one minor release to another, we've had to take this approach, else mid-way the graphics die and the concurrent yum update bails with it:

(workstation, not server, we do not run servers with GUI)

• Coordinate with customer or validate no one is logged in
  • systemctl isolate multi-user.target then perform yum update in a screen or tmux session if logged in remotely so the yum update continues if the connection is lost
  • Install nvidia drivers if required after the reboot using the proper method I did not list here (multi-user.target).
  • Once in a while, a system fails to update properly and is left with dozens and dozens of duplicate dependencies due to a yum failure during the upgrade to the next minor release
  • We have a script that then performs the necessary steps to dump the duplicates and reperform the update (generally this fix works well, once in a great while we just rebuild the system).

SERVERS - We are careful in our approach with minor release upgrades to servers. If there are more than 800 updates due to some unusual reason, we've found by experience performing a yum update kernel kernel-* first makes the process go smoother without failures, this may be unique to our environment.

Regards,
RJ

Hi RJ,

What you say about multi-user.target is what I definitely recommend to do, too. I always perform updates this
way - or I "ssh" into the system from my main (fedora) workstation. Regarding NVIDIA drivers ... if one did not
install them "the dkms way", they should be uninstalled before starting the upgrade process. Thanks for your
(as always) useful instructions and tips. :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks Christian,

We've discovered that dkms is not the silver bullet we'd hoped it to be

Regards,
RJ

Hi RJ,

Well, alternatively one can install the drivers from RPM Fusion, the "akmod version" survives kernel updates. :)

Regards,
Christian

Till what data is RHEL 7.8 supported? Not EUS but normal support

Hi Sreedhar,

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Life Cycle hints on 30-sep-2020.

Note: RHEL 7.8 (end of maintenance at RHEL 7.9 release. Date: 3QCY20)

Regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Hi Sreedhar,

Please upgrade to RHEL 7.9 if you want to have a fully supported system ! :)

Regards,
Christian

so RHEL 7.8 effectively is out of maintenance support from today.?

That's what we wanted to tell you, Sreedhar ... so, please upgrade to RHEL 7.9 - or switch to RHEL 8.2 ! :)

Regards,
Christian

Out of support completely.

Thanks Christian. Since 7.9 released in Oct 2020 till what date will it be supported without buying EUS.

Hi Sreedhar,

RHEL 7 will be supported until June 30, 2024 - but it won't get any new features and further enhancements. :)

Regards,
Christian