Top report bad cpu states

Latest response

Hi,

When I run heavy network load on my machine top is reporting bad cpu states - for example 100% idle although the cpu is working very hard, sometimes is reporting states with high jumps - for 1 sample it's 20% idle and 1 sample after it's 80% and these jumps repeat themselves.

It happened on both RHEL7.4 and 7.6.
In RHEL8 it's working perfect on the same appliance with the same tests!

Can someone refer me to a fix or a patch I can apply on the kernel in order to fix that problem?

Thanks!

Responses

I had to do this and it worked. Made file grub.TX1320-M4 with:

GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="crashkernel=auto  vconsole.keymap=de-latin1-nodeadkeys video=640x480 acpi_pad.disable=1 rhgb quiet"
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

and then I made this script, we install alot of Servers.

#!/bin/bash
# Script Name: acpi_pad.diasble
# Beschreibung: acpi_pad disable
# Erstellt: 
# für TX1320-M4 und RHEL 7.5
cp /usr/bbx/rhadm/system/grub.TX1320-M4 /etc/default/grub 2>>/var/log/acpi_pad-disable.log
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/redhat/grub.cfg 2>>/var/log/acpi_pad-disable.log

Hope it helps.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. we are not using the acpi_pad module at all, so I dont think this is the problem.

Yeah, but is it disabled? I had the same Problem with same Server. We deliver our Server with RHEL7.5 and I had to disable it. I am testen 8.1 and have no Problems. And I never used acpi_pad either.

Do you mean you experienced the same issue with RHEL7.5 and disabling acpi_pad solved it? and with RHEL8.1 you didn't experience the problem even without disabling the acpi_pad?

yes.

Tried it, didn't help :(

Thank you for the advise!

Anyone has more suggestions?