Reinstall

Latest response

Hi i have a developer subscription i have installed REHL on a external HD because i installed Fedora on my main disk. So mabye a stupid question but i will someday buy a new laptop my is quite old yes REHL is installed on my external HD but i will probedly have to reinstall it because a new computer ad it would probedly don't boot on new UEFI so how do i do it with the subscription?

Responses

Hi Daniel,

Unregister the old system before you install the new one.

sudo subscription-manager remove --all
sudo subscription-manager unregister
sudo subscription-manager clean

Then re-register the new system after having installed it.

sudo subscription-manager register
sudo subscription-manager refresh
sudo subscription-manager attach --auto

That's all you need to do regarding the subscription ... :)

Regards,
Christian

This is one of the top issues people come with the forum with (well, registration and adding repos). Your ready solution is useful Christian.

I'm thinking of suggesting somehow we have a "top issue" area for such things.

ADDED/EDITED: Christian, maybe we can pool our brains on a common registration/subscription. This is a beginning, but as we both know, sometimes other common issues exist such as no network, even an /etc/resolv.conf that has no DNS resolvers, or someone ran out of subscriptions (not this specific issue for this post).

Regards
RJ

Hi RJ,

That is very good idea which I already thought about too ... BUT : I am not so sure if it helps to avoid duplicates. :)
Red Hat has the best Knowledgebase I'm aware of and the RH Customer portal provides a close to 100% perfect
search functionality. Still most (newer) users tend to choose the (what they think is) fastest way by posting their questions. Maybe we can convince a responsible person to create a new section "Commonly known problems" ...
something like FAQ's on the main landing page where our members can find working solutions faster. Until that'll
becomes reality, I think we should continue to help out, even though solutions have been provided several times.

Regards,
Christian

Yes, of course, no change in course here

Regards
RJ

Ok thanks for the help now i know but what happens in case of hardware failure?

Hi Daniel,

Hardware related issues don't have anything to do with subscription management ... so please open a new thread. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Daniel,

Well, in case you mean how to unregister a system when the hardware dies before you could unregister ...
Open https://access.redhat.com/management/systems in a web browser and remove the system there. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Daniel.

When I face a hardware issue, here's what I do. First identify the hardware failure. In your case, I can't say I know what hardware issue you are facing, so it would be hard to give you focused info here.

If possible, download a hardware diagnosis iso from the computer manufacturer and run it (Dell for example has that available, your computer's manufacturer may or may not have that, but there are other options available).

• Determine if the system you are using is still under warranty. If it is, contact their support and go through their process to obtain warranty support.
  • Determine if the hardware failure is for something that is easily replaceable and if so, pursue that, and rule out other issues especially if the system is very old.
  • If it is not under warranty, determine if you ought to replace it, and if you do or do not wish to go with the same manufacturer who made your server. If the system is owned by your company, seek to determine if your company wants to replace it, and go through your company's process to justify funds. If you're the owner, just buy it after you've done a reasonable assessment for your business plan.
  • If the hardware failure is for something like a hard drive, I recommend replacing the drives in the raid array (if a server, or high-end workstation), and rebuild the raid array and reload the system with a fresh copy of Red Hat Linux.
  • p.s. Red Hat to my knowledge does not sell hardware.

Regards
RJ

Hi RJ,

After having re-read all posts, I assume Daniel means "how to unregister a system after the hardware died/failed". :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks Christian. His reply with "hardware failure" distracted me.

Regards
RJ

You're welcome, RJ ! Same with me ... first I felt so too. Let's see if my response gave him what he wanted to know. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi thanks for the answer :) yes i meant in case of.

You're welcome, Daniel ! Thanks for clarification. :)

Regards,
Christian