CIFS Mount Error

Posted on

Over the weekend I installed Errata on several servers, some of the errata were SAMBA related:

Updated samba-3.6.23-51.el6.x86_64                                  @rhel-6-server-rpms
    Update        3.6.23-52.el6_10.x86_64                               @rhel-6-server-rpms
    Updated samba-client-3.6.23-51.el6.x86_64                           @rhel-6-server-rpms
    Update               3.6.23-52.el6_10.x86_64                        @rhel-6-server-rpms
    Updated samba-common-3.6.23-51.el6.x86_64                           @rhel-6-server-rpms
    Update               3.6.23-52.el6_10.x86_64                        @rhel-6-server-rpms
    Updated samba-winbind-3.6.23-51.el6.x86_64                          @rhel-6-server-rpms
    Update                3.6.23-52.el6_10.x86_64                       @rhel-6-server-rpms
    Updated samba-winbind-clients-3.6.23-51.el6.x86_64                  @rhel-6-server-rpms
    Update                        3.6.23-52.el6_10.x86_64               @rhel-6-server-rpms

The problem I ran into was that some of the servers suddenly failed mouning a CIFS share with a service account that has been working for at least 2 years straight. The error was 13 Access Denied, after checking the messages in /var/log, I found this error: 0xc0000070 NT_STATUS_INVALID_WORKSTATION

The service account in use is a Windows Active Directory account and is mounting a share on a Windows DFS server. Nothing about the account or DFS server was changed over this time, only the recent errata installation on the problem servers. I did find that the account had been restricted to a single unrelated Windows workstation, yet this had never caused a problem in the past with using the account credentials to mount the share until after the recent errata. The reason it never cause a past problem is that interactive logon wasn't required, only authentication (which does not generate a logon event).

Does mounting a cifs share using Windows AD credentials now require an interactive logon as a result of something new?

The reason this could be a problem, is that our parent company restricts many accounts in their domain, like service accounts, from logging on to any workstation by default. I believe they have not installed this errata yet as they are usually installing errata on a different quarterly time table. If this is a new SAMBA requirement or something else that is new, it could be a large problem.

Responses