Going from Satellite 6.3 -> 6.6: Upgrade or reinstall?

Latest response

Hi, folks,

We are at a very low level of Satellite sophistication. We use it to provide updates to servers, and that's about it, so far.

I'm now looking at the 6.3->6.6 upgrade path, which is three separate upgrades. I'm wondering whether we might not be just as well off, or possibly better, to simply install 6.6 fresh and re-register every machine. I've got a little Perl harness to do the re-registers.

What do you think? Is there a third option I'm not seeing?

Thanks,

John A

Responses

I pondered over this very same issue. Until 2 weeks ago, we were still on 6.2. The upgrade from 6.2 => 6.3 was bumpy. The upgrade from 6.3 => 6.4 was less bumpy but required some massaging of Puppet. 6.4 => 6.5 and 6.5 => 6.6 was painless. If I had known the issues we had with 6.2 were truly resolved with subsequent upgrades, I would have upgraded sooner. We use Satellite for PXE-less Kickstart, Patching, Orchestrated reboots via Remote Execution & Host Collections, Configuration Management via Puppet and now Orchestration via Ansible.

Hello John, It is up to you to start fresh or to upgrade from 6.3 -> 6.4 -> 6.5 -> 6.6. - Several customers upgraded from 6.3 -> 6.4 -> 6.5 like what Anthony mentioned above and succeeded without major issues. The satellite upgrade process has improved a lot in the last few years. - On the other hand, if you want to take this opportunity to build a new Satellite and redefine workflows, you can do that too. Since you have tooling around re-registration, it should be easy to migrate systems.

John, Satellite 6.5 and above support FIPS (FIPS is not just only used by government, by the way). So if you want FIPS you might have to do a clean install (my Red Hat Technical Account Manager told me, and from what I've seen). Otherwise, see the reply above from Sureshkumar Thirugnanasambandan.

Regards

RJ