New Content and Sync Plan

Latest response

Hi,
I'm looking to add RHEL 8 to my current Satellite 6.5 configuration.

RHEL 7 has the following Product:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server.

It is syncing on a daily basis with a sync plan Daily_Sync.
It contains RHEL7 - Server RPMs, Extras RPMs, Kickstart, Optional RPMs, Common RPMs, Supplementary RPMs as well as various versions of Satellite Tools for RHEL 7.

I created a new Product for RHEL8, unlike RHEL 7 didn't get any choice for name and is called Red Hat Enterprise Linux for x86_64. It includes BaseOS Kickstart, BaseOS RPMs, Supplementary RPMs and Satellite Tools for RHEL8.

I think so far so good.

I am just wondering do I add this to the same Sync Plan. Or should I make a new Sync Plan?

The next question is, I have content view CV_RHEL7. I presume I should, in turn, create a CV_RHEL8 content view and add the appropriate repositories. Or would it be better to just have a CV_RHEL and have both RHEL 7 and 8 there?

Thank-you,
Peter

Responses

Hello Peter,

I created a new sync plan and a new CV for RHEL 8

beside the RHEL 7 sync plan and CV to have more control.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Hello Jan, Thank-you. Yes, that makes sense. I'll go with that, seems like the cleaner option as well.

Regards, Peter

Hello, adding the RHEL8 product to the Sync Plan for RHEL7 could be OK as well - until there are tens of repos in the product already. Then it would make sense to create a new Sync Plan with different kick off time, just to spread the load of repositories synchronization. Well, pulp spreads it as well via pulp concurrency, but still there is some other work done by katello.

The "few tens repos" - there is no strict threshold of how many repos in a sync plan are sustainable. As usual with performance and scalability, it depends on too many factors. But if you notice some slow sync or performance issues during the sync, huge Sync Plan might be a possible cause.

For Content Views, it makes sense to have a separate one. Mainly due to the fact that the content in each such CV will be almost completely different and independent for RHEL7 and RHEL8. So even (demands of) publishing+promoting such content could be independent.

Note that you must also include the RHEL 8 AppStream RPMs repository, and you may need the "CodeReady Builder' repository as well (somewhat equivalent to the RHEL 7 "optional" repository - and I think in Satellite, CodeReady Builder will appear as a different "Product" from RHEL 8 itself).

As Jan and Pavel pointed out, Sync Plans and Content Views do not need to correspond exactly - I have all my content synced in a single large patch (RHEL 5, 6, 7, and 8) on a daily basis, but published in separate CVs for each major release.

Hi James,

I had one large sync plan at first, but due to the limited sizing of my Satellite server (16GB of memory) Red Hat support advised to split up the sync plan, so I split it in Product related "junks".

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Thanks everyone. I created a new Content View CV_RHEL8 and included AppStream with the repos mentioned. At this point I left out 'CodeReady Builder' - did some reading and I don't think applicable for how we use RHEL. But I guess I'll be able to add later if required. And two separate Sync Plans.