Upgrade RH Satellite 6.5.1 to 6.6 might fail due to canceled Sync Plans. (Solved)

Latest response

You may never have noticed that in 6.5.1 you have a Monitor item called Recurring Logics.

This item shows a list of all recurring tasks you have create, for example all the Sync Plans are shown here.

If you have Canceled Sync Plans in this list, you can get in trouble trying to run an upgrade from 6.5.1 to 6.6.

This is the way I solved with help from Red Hat Support.

Extend your root file system, it must have 4GB of free space

1. Check out James Brigman's article for hints:Updating or upgrading your Red Hat Satellite server #EnableSysadmin #RedHatAccelerator by @jkbrigman

2. subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-server-satellite-maintenance-6-rpms --enable rhel-7-server-ansible-2.8-rpms

subscription-manager repos --disable rhel-7-server-ansible-2.6-rpms I missed this command in the documentation.

satellite-installer --foreman-proxy-dns-managed=false --foreman-proxy-dhcp-managed=false
Before you update from 6.5 to 6.6 check the Monitor->Reccuring Logics item from the WebUI.

1. If you find items with the status Canceled continue with step 3.

2. From the Satellite cli run:
    ~~foreman-rake console
    ~~ForemanTasks::RecurringLogic.delete(ForemanTasks::RecurringLogic.where(:state => 'cancelled'))

3. check the WebUI to check that all Canceled items have been removed.

5.. satellite-maintain upgrade run --target-version 6.6 --whitelist="sync-plans-disable"

1. restore the installation options you used in the past to setup the Satellite server .e.g. Warning the option to set the admin-user has been changed: --foreman-initial-admin-username instead of --foreman-admin-username

So for me step 3., 4. and 5. where needed to fix my issue.

Responses

Hi Jan Gerrit,

Thank you very much for sharing these details, I'm sure they will be extremely useful for all Satellite users. :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks Jan Gerrit

Regards

RJ