CentOS

Latest response

Hi,

I would like to know whether it's possible to install Satellite 6 on a CentOS7 server ? Or it should absolutely be in RHEL7

Thanks.

Responses

Satellite can only be installed on a RHEL7 Server.

Hello Sid-Ahmed,

Why do you wish to install a supported application on a non-supported Linux distribution?

If you or your customer cannot afford the Red Hat support, you should build a server based on the four upstream projects on CentOS. It might be difficult, I have not tried it.

Spacewalk might be an alternative, read the documentation about the limits, check for compatibility issues.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

Also, it is to be noted that the Satellite subscriptions INCLUDE RHEL for the installation, so there is no reason to not use it.

@Satellite Team,

The classic Satellite subscription does not exist anymore.

RHEL with Smart Management subscription is the requirement to get a set of free Satellite entitlements.

The product Satellite contains a RHEL entitlement.

An entitlement is a right to install.

A subscription is the official support contract.

Regards,

Jan Gerrit

If the customer has a Satellite subscription and is running into issues with an older SKU, that customer should reach out to their sales person. I am sure we can make an arrangment to get them the necessary subscriptions to allow them to install on RHEL.

Thanks for your replies.

I think the customer will finaly go for Foreman/Katello, the upstream projects. But he also wants to manage his rhel VMs on it.

I think the customer will finaly go for Foreman/Katello, the upstream projects. But he also wants to manage his rhel VMs on it.

Could he be able to sync RedHat content (Repos) to Foreman machine (installed on CentOS7) supposing that he has a subscription manifest ?

This is possible. The customer should engage the foreman community with questions and concerns if using community bits.