RHEL8 - Software Manager complains for EPEL

Latest response

Software Manager - Error MessageAs you can see in the attached image, Software Manager produces an error message when launched regarding the EPEL repository. Any ideas?

Responses

Hi Panos,

GNOME Software (the GUI application) is known to having issues, better use the CLI : sudo dnf upgrade
Also please bear in mind that even though being available ... EPEL is still considered "under construction". :)

Regards,
Christian

Still, this is the only GUI for RHEL which allows the user to see what applications are available as it integrates with both the repositories and flathub. What other choice do the users have?

Hi Panos,

What about sudo dnf list and flatpak remote-ls <remote> ?
Not a GUI solution - but still ... the CLI gives you what you want, too. :)

Regards,
Christian

That only gives you the names of available applications not information about them as to what their purpose is.

Okay Panos, my intention was to provide you with an alternative solution, not to get involved in
a discussion CLI vs. GUI. I just wanted to help you. By the way, the dnf info option gives you the
information about specific software packages. But I assume that's not what you wanted to hear.

Regards,
Christian

Panos

I imagine your network is up and running properly, else ensure that's up. Temporarily disable EPEL in your repos then from a terminal as root do a yum clean all ; yum repolist to make sure you see all your repositories. There is probably a way to do this using a graphical user interface (gui), however, command line is pretty efficient.

The repositories are in /etc/yum.repos.d/ with a file extension of "repo". Go to the one that is epel (grep -i epel /etc/yum.repos.d/*) and change enabled=1 to enabled=0 if you need to disable epel.

You might still get complaints for some rpms if they are part of epel even if it is disabled. The reason why is sometimes your main repository channels will have conflicts with EPEL (I receive this kind of thing in RHEL 7.x but not often). This is a rare situation, and it may be so in my case because I "carry" the EPEL repositories every other week to my disconnected networks.

Anyway, if EPEL is currently getting in your way, you can temporarily disable EPEL, then retry your update (as Christian mentioned), and later reenable EPEL.

I'm not sure what I'm posting in this reply here will resolve your update issue, due to various other factors --> Hope this helps, you might face other upgrade issues with the non-mature EPEL (Christian mentioned). Write back here in as needed.

Regards

RJ

Hi RJ,

Please let me add something to your (as always) useful information ... the gnome-software GUI application
relies on PackageKit, which runs alongside DNF - in parallel - in the background. GNOME Software doesn't
provide all packages, where DNF/YUM does. So when users, like Panos, want to upgrade their packages via
the GUI, they possibly leave out packages that don't provide GUI access - I thought I should mention it ... :)

Regards,
Christian

With EPEL disabled but other third-party repositories enabled (RPMFusion, El Repo), Software Manager has no problems. The same applies when using Cockpit to check for software updates. With EPEL enabled both the Software Manager and Cockpit produce the error message mentioned in the beginning of this thread.

Hi Panos,

That is expected behavior, because under the hood Cockpit runs the cockpit-packagekit plugin. :)

Regards,
Christian