How update from 7.2. to 7.3, not 7.7?

Latest response

Hello! Can somebody explain me how correctly update my
"Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.2 (Maipo)" to 7.3, not to 7.7?

Current state:

[root@S ~]# cat /etc/*-release
NAME="Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server"
VERSION="7.2 (Maipo)"
ID="rhel"
ID_LIKE="fedora"
VERSION_ID="7.2"
PRETTY_NAME="Red Hat Enterprise Linux"
ANSI_COLOR="0;31"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:redhat:enterprise_linux:7.2:GA:server"
HOME_URL="https://www.redhat.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugzilla.redhat.com/"

REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT="Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7"
REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT_VERSION=7.2
REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="Red Hat Enterprise Linux"
REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION="7.2"
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.2 (Maipo)

How update version and all packeges just to 7.3?

P.S. I use subscription "30 Day Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server Self-Supported Evaluation".

Responses

Hi Bulat,

No idea what you want to achieve and why you want to do that, evaluating outdated software ?
Makes no sense to me, but if you indeed want to test RHEL 7.3, better install it from scratch. :)
https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/69/ver=/rhel---7/7.3/x86_64/product-software

Regards,
Christian

Thank you, Christian. there was some special programs, that works only on 7.3 and lower version. We try to close as many vulnerabilities as possible, and one of steps upgrading from 7.2 to 7.3. On 7.4+ the system and special programs does not work correctly.

Understand, Bulat - but, if you decide to buy a RHEL subscription, you should convince the
vendor of the programs to update them on a regular basis, so that they can be used on the
latest stable RHEL editions. That's the only way to address vulnerabilities and it's also very
important to generally have updated software, especially in enterprise environments ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Yeah, Christian is right, we had one vendor who was "reluctant" to upgrade their product to something that would work with the current edition of Red Hat (and subsequent updates). My customer finally convinced them to upgrade considering the impact if they didn't (they'd go to a competitor).

Regards,

RJ

Hi Bulat,

I agree with Christian, if at all possible, use the most current minor release of Red Hat. That being said... If you have some compelling requirement that forces you to stay at an earlier minor release of Red Hat, in principle, here's how you go about it.

1) Acquire the RHEL 7.3 server (not workstation) binary DVD try this Red Hat link https://access.redhat.com/downloads/content/69/ver=/rhel---7/7.3/x86_64/product-software and **ensure you pick the binary dvd such as shown with the sha256 sum in the block of text below this:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.3 Binary DVD 

Last modified: 2018-03-23 SHA-256 Checksum: 120acbca7b3d55465eb9f8ef53ad7365f2997d42d4f83d7cc285bf5c71e1131f 
Download Now 
3.53 GB

2) Mount the DVD locally to your system such as below:

# su - 
[enter the root password]
# echo "the dvd might already be mounted, some systems might automatically mount it.  use df -kh to check if needed"
# mkdir /iso
# mount /dev/cdrom /iso
# echo make the necessary yum repo file (this is temporary, remove it afterwards)
# cat << EOF >> /etc/yum.repos.d/TEMP7.3.repo
[mount_dvd_first]
name=installation dvd red hat 7.3 mount it first or it will not work
baseurl=file:///iso
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
EOF
# echo import pki keys just in case to avoid yum key drama
# rpm --import -v /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/*

2) This step is important very important go over this step carefully. Make sure there are no other yum repositories, such as the system being directly connected to Red Hat or a satellite server before proceeding. Why? I'm glad you asked. If you make the repository successfully as shown in the step I provided above **yet still have other active repositories going to either Red Hat or an active Satellite server you will upgrade to the latest version regardless.. THIS STEP IS IMPORTANT IN YOUR CASE, post back here if you are unsure (valid warning)

NOTE I saw this happen to someone. They made the necessary manual repository, HOWEVER they were attached to a satellite server and their system did a full upgrade to the latest version so use caution

3) After you're 100% positive you have no competing repositories, validate what repos you have with

# echo make sure you are root
# yum repolist

The output from the above should only show your manual repository mounted on /iso If it shows anything else, resolve before proceeding.

4) If all of the above is true (consider this a conditional statement), then proceed with an echo n | yum update just to evaluate how it will go. Carefully examine the output so you ensure you're not getting anything higher than 7.3 RHEL server. The echo n in this command will exit the yum update but provide you the output to examine.

5) Post back here if you require assistance, someone ought to chime in

If possible, go to RHEL 7.7. I realize some 3rd party software, or unique circumstances may force some to remain at an earlier minor release of Red Hat. Doing so however will cause you to inherit whatever risks were not resolved since the release of 7.3 to now where we are at 7.7. Know also, that going to RHEL 7.3 as shown in this reply will only take you to the beginning stage of 7.3.

Regards

RJ

Thank you RJ for your time and your detailed response to my question. Special thanks for the comments about repositories. You've explained in some detail, I don't think I'll have any questions.

We're here to help if you have questions. You're welcome to post as you wish

Regards

RJ

I noticed you are using a 30 day evaluation of Red Hat. you might have to renew your evaluation or acquire a subscription, or perhaps if it fits, attempt to use a developer's edition if what you are doing fits the proper role of developer use (not production use, not business use where you are making money from the use of it, example). See this link for details.

Regards

RJ

We are testing one old product on various Linux distributions and will continue to think about what we will buy.

Hi Bulat

Take a look at https://access.redhat.com/solutions/238533

Regards RB

Thank you Roberto.

I think I had better study the forum before ask question :)

Nice solution you posted there Roberto.

Regards

RJ

Bulat, while that link Roberto posted is good, please be aware of the things I posted prior,

Regards

RJ