I just want to say goodbye to MS

Latest response

I may be in way over my head but i am persistent enough to stick with this until I figure it out. What my goal is, is to never have to use a Microsoft product again unless I choose to. I am sick of them vandalizing and altering my property with a deliberate attempt to hide it from me and , of course, do not feel the need for my consent. I know I am no computer engineer and have no intentions of ever being one. I want an enterprise system simply for the fact I will have a fighting chance of actually owning and have control of the OS. I am not a criminal nor am i attempting to hide anything. I hope you will just humor me along and give me guidance on how to do this.

Responses

Hi Tom,

Good idea and yes, Red Hat is a good choice ... I've done exactly what you're starting to do some years ago and I never looked
back. RHEL gives you everything you need and even more : freedom ! You are the "boss" who decides what happens and what
not. With Red Hat based systems you can do everything you want to do, without having to fear about privacy related issues. :)

We gladly will "humor you along" and guide you where ever we can, feel free to ask specific questions. If I'm allowed to give a starting advice - the best method is "learning by doing". Me myself, I have learned the basics and further on gained advanced knowledge by "self-training", and I started from scratch. Once you learned some basics, you are able to ask in such a way that chances are high to receive useful recommendations on how to solve "this and that". Now I wish you good luck and much fun.

Regards,
Christian

Well I'm feeling better about this already. I am attempting to create a install media on one laptop and I am going to attempt to install it on a second laptop that I put a blank sshd in, thanks again Christian!!

You're welcome, Tom ! Most important : Download the dvd.iso - not the boot.iso ... then create the medium. :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Chrisian, You are super active in this community. Can you suggest me starting point. I am comfortable with Ununtu and I know basic command of RHEL as well (package manager is different only I guess) but I feel that required package installed is little bit tricky in RHEL.

Hi Sayed,

Most Linux basics, especially common commands are the same as in debian/ubuntu systems.
The main difference is the package manager you've mentioned, DNF/YUM instead of APT. :)

Regards,
Christian

Are you going to install RHEL 8 now? I am waiting EPEL repo to be released. Can anyone suggest me good third party repo that might be useful. Please advice me if adding third party is compromising sucurity?

Hi Sayed,

I recommend to wait until RHEL 8.1 gets released, at that time EPEL and RPM Fusion will be ready too.
I strongly recommend against adding any other repositories as those two ones ... the more "untrusted"
sources you add, the more insecure and unstable the operating system gets - please don't do that ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Hi Sayed,

Sorry, I forgot to mention ELRepo - this repository has to be considered trustworthy too, of course. :)

Regards,
Christian

Thanks, Christian, for making this important additional note. ;-)

You're welcome, Akemi, truly meant ! :) The reason why I forgot it in my response before was
that I wanted to point out that many 3rd party repositories cannot be considered trustworthy
in the first place ... and, I wanted to respond this fact to Sayed's question as soon as possible.

Regards,
Christian

Thank you for helping me out. I will wait two more months or so. I guess EPEL and RPM-Fusion will be ready by then. Now I dual dooted my Laptop (windows 10 and Ubuntu) on Lenovo Z50-70. I am testing RHEL8 in VMware. Those two months I will use my Macbook. After that I will clean install RHEL8 on my Lenovo laptop (will encrypt HDD). I want to use that for programming purpose and will use my Mac for other regular work.

You're welcome, Sayed ... good decision and good strategy ! :)

Hello Tom,

You kinda remind me of myself back in 2006, when I installed Windows Vista and almost got mad. That was the time when I decided to switch to Linux.

I started with Ubuntu which had and still has an awesome German community. Today I use Ubuntu and CentOS at home and RHEL 7 in the office and for all work related things. I won't conceal that I still have to use Windows at work but that's ok, I guess.

Have fun exploring the world of Linux while discovering your new operating system. If you are using RHEL take a look at the Documentation. It's quit good. Also you may wanna look for some cheat sheets which could help you save time when you are looking for a command. For example find the two below as a starting point. But there are more out there. :-)

Best regards,
Joerg

My experience mirrors Joerg's above. After doing both Linux and Windows stuff for years, in 2006 I decided that Vista wasn't the direction I wanted to go with computing. Here are the things which helped me:

The number one step is to remove Windows. Don't dual boot. Don't have an install on a spare drive. If the "crutch" of an easy accessible computing environment is there you'll use it. At the start you really have to force yourself to use Linux.

Use a good distro. As Joerg said, I'd go with Ubuntu. It has a huge community so any problem you run into or thing you want help with has probably already been answered 10 times over. It has a huge package selection, the most of any distro iirc, plus if a third-party packages software they probably make an Ubuntu PPA (which is their own "unofficial" repository). It has many well-supported desktop environments so you can try Gnome, KDE, Cinnamon, MATE (yay), XFCE, LXQt, and decide which one is best for you. Eventually you'll get to the point of "distro hopping" and trying out Debian,Fedora, Arch, etc to see which you like.

When you run into problems, try to solve them. Don't get frustrated and move back to Windows. Use forums, search engines, sites like Stack Overflow, the Arch Linux wiki, etc to describe your problem in various ways until you get a lead. Try different things. Learn some Linux basics like how to use the terminal, the filesystem layout, reading manual pages, etc. You're going to have to learn different ways to troubleshoot software and problems on Linux.

Find software you want to use. Your computer is there for you to do "your stuff" with it. Use sites like https://alternativeto.net/ or https://www.osalt.com/ to find programs which can do the things you're interested in. If you prefer using a Windows version of a program, see if it will run on Wine.

Good luck, have fun, and enjoy yourself!

Dear Tom,

Our good colleagues in the forum gave you lot of excellent advice.

You are certainly not alone :)

I have been in IT business (started with VMS and Ultrix back in late 70s) for 34 years now. Since early 90s at home it has always been some kind of Linux (I even owned and managed one of the early Australian ISPs running Slackware distribution). Never regretted my decisions.

For me, Linux is about:

Right to choose what I want, not what somebody else wants for me. Freedom for my computers not to be easily hacked and "abused" by attacks. Immense ability to learn (command-line is still great) and use many tools and programming languages. Great community of people who are not afraid to share knowledge.

Regards,

Dusan Baljevic (amateur radio VK2COT)

By the way, I am using CentOS 7 at home and my children (who are both in IT and doing very well) use Ubuntu.

Difference of opinions :) Both are good choices nevertheless.