DNS SERVICE SUDDENLY STOPPED WORKING

Latest response

My linux DNS Machine just suddendly stopped resolving .

the ''named'' service is stated down.

Responses

Hi Jude, sorry to hear this.

Jude, act like when we see this, we will need more details, including what version of Red Hat you are using, even check some logs for example. You have people here who are willing and have incentive to assist, but you will be our eyes and ears for details.

One thing that comes to my mind, however it may not apply to you, TEMPORARILY turn off selinux using "setenforce 0" and then attempt to restart the service. I once made a new zone and didn't fix the contexts in the zone file and the service failed. your case may be different.

Some initial things to check without more details...

1) If this is RHEL 7 or above (we don't know) run the command journalctl -xe and examine the output. 2) If this is RHEL 7 or above, examine the output of systemctl status named -l . which is a long status of the named service. You won't be able to run this for RHEL 6. 3) Scour the logs under /var/log - and start with the messages file for possible errors. It's often good in principle when examining logs to cd /var/log then run ls -ltr because that will sort logs by the most current logs being at the bottom of the output. Then thoroughly examine the logs that seem applicable from the output.

If needed put in a ticket with Red Hat. Know that they will ask for an sosreport. Do not post an sosreport here, as that is waay too much info to post in a public forum.

However, please come back with some details, such as what is written above. Without knowing your specifics for your system, please start your troubleshooting with this guide from Red Hat for troubleshooting DNS (that is for rhel 7, however if you are using rhel6, it will be somewhat different).

Regards, hope it goes well, if needed submit a case with Red Hat

RJ

Thanks for the quick response. the version of linux server I am running is ver 7

I am currently not at the Data Center housing the Physical Box, but i do have the following outpu:

''' ]# systemctl status named-chroot.service -l ● named-chroot.service - Berkeley Internet Name Domain (DNS) Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/named-chroot.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled) Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2019-08-09 07:54:20 WAT; 3min 52s ago Process: 22745 ExecStartPre=/bin/bash -c if [ ! "$DISABLE_ZONE_CHECKING" == "yes" ]; then /usr/sbin/named-checkconf -t /var/named/chroot -z "$NAMEDCONF"; else echo "Checking of zone files is disabled"; fi (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Aug 09 07:54:20 rockfish.cybaaspace.net bash[22745]: zone umaidportal.com/IN: loaded serial 200510202 Aug 09 07:54:20 rockfish.cybaaspace.net bash[22745]: zone speedyprints.com.ng/IN: loaded serial 2005080786 Aug 09 07:54:20 rockfish.cybaaspace.net bash[22745]: zone superflux.com.ng/IN: loaded serial 2005080789 Aug 09 07:54:20 rockfish.cybaaspace.net bash[22745]: zone obasanjopresidentiallibrary.org/IN: loaded serial 2005102408 Aug 09 07:54:20 rockfish.cybaaspace.net bash[22745]: zone olusegunobasanjopresidentiallibrary.org/IN: loaded serial 2005102408 Aug 09 07:54:20 rockfish.cybaaspace.net bash[22745]: zone babcockportal.com/IN: loaded serial 200604004 Aug 09 07:54:20 rockfish.cybaaspace.net systemd[1]: named-chroot.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1 Aug 09 07:54:20 rockfish.cybaaspace.net systemd[1]: Failed to start Berkeley Internet Name Domain (DNS). Aug 09 07:54:20 rockfish.cybaaspace.net systemd[1]: Unit named-chroot.service entered failed state. Aug 09 07:54:20 rockfish.cybaaspace.net systemd[1]: named-chroot.service failed.

Please forgive me as i am barely 8month into Linux OS with very little knowlledge. i would solicit for the steps to copy out ''sosreport'' to forward to Redhat

Thanks

Hi there Jude, we're glad you are here even with 8 months experience - that's 8 more months than those who've never touched Linux at all.

I put the link for doing an sosreport in my previous post.

Examine the output of journalctl -xe and use your arrow keys to go up/down. Look for failed instances of named, and sometimes you'll get useful output on why the service failed.

Additionally, examine the output of systemctl status named -l because sometimes you'll get some output there that will aid. Also run systemctl status named-chroot.service -l

Remember the other link on diagnosing DNS issues from my previous post.

The most efficent method of getting help in this case is to do the sosreport (see previous post, the link "sosreport" in my previous post) and submit that sosreport in your case to Red Hat (but not in the discussion forum)

Kind Regards

RJ

A quick check to do run the check of the start script manually:

NAMEDCONF=/etc/named.conf; /usr/sbin/named-checkconf -t /var/named/chroot -z "$NAMEDCONF

Post as little info as possible, not all zones specific output (hackers information will leak).