Cause of CIFS VFS: cannot query dirs between root and final path

Posted on

Hello community,

When I look in my journal I've found a lot of the following error messages:

08:00:23 kernel: CIFS VFS: cannot query dirs between root and final path, enabling CIFS_MOUNT_USE_PREFIX_PATH
08:06:39 kernel: CIFS VFS: cannot query dirs between root and final path, enabling CIFS_MOUNT_USE_PREFIX_PATH
08:12:55 kernel: CIFS VFS: cannot query dirs between root and final path, enabling CIFS_MOUNT_USE_PREFIX_PATH
08:19:11 kernel: CIFS VFS: cannot query dirs between root and final path, enabling CIFS_MOUNT_USE_PREFIX_PATH
08:25:27 kernel: CIFS VFS: cannot query dirs between root and final path, enabling CIFS_MOUNT_USE_PREFIX_PATH
08:31:43 kernel: CIFS VFS: cannot query dirs between root and final path, enabling CIFS_MOUNT_USE_PREFIX_PATH
08:37:59 kernel: CIFS VFS: cannot query dirs between root and final path, enabling CIFS_MOUNT_USE_PREFIX_PATH
08:44:15 kernel: CIFS VFS: cannot query dirs between root and final path, enabling CIFS_MOUNT_USE_PREFIX_PATH
08:50:31 kernel: CIFS VFS: cannot query dirs between root and final path, enabling CIFS_MOUNT_USE_PREFIX_PATH
08:56:47 kernel: CIFS VFS: cannot query dirs between root and final path, enabling CIFS_MOUNT_USE_PREFIX_PATH
09:03:03 kernel: CIFS VFS: cannot query dirs between root and final path, enabling CIFS_MOUNT_USE_PREFIX_PATH
09:09:19 kernel: CIFS VFS: cannot query dirs between root and final path, enabling CIFS_MOUNT_USE_PREFIX_PATH
09:15:35 kernel: CIFS VFS: cannot query dirs between root and final path, enabling CIFS_MOUNT_USE_PREFIX_PATH
09:21:51 kernel: CIFS VFS: cannot query dirs between root and final path, enabling CIFS_MOUNT_USE_PREFIX_PATH

Does someone know the possible root cause of this error and how to get rid of it? I've search on the web and in the docs but havn't find a clue, yet.

Best regards,
Joerg