Cannot install RHEL 8.1

Latest response

Hi,
I have a problem installing RHEL 8.1 on a ThinkPad.
I built the installer with the DVD ISO on a USB and it boots fine.
In the Installation Source I have verified the USB media is valid.
However, on the Installation Summary page, the Installation Source has an error displaying "Error setting up base repository" which is preventing me installing.
Thoughts?
Thanks

Responses

I think 8.1 is in beta and for testing only. Try that in a VM and install 8.0 in your laptop instead.

Hi Sayed,

That won't change much, I'm afraid, there's no difference if you install RHEL on bare metal or in a VM. :)
The Anaconda installer works the same way in both cases, the installation procedure is exactly the same.

Regards,
Christian

Hi Bryon,

The only thing I can imagine is that you've inserted a wrong medium or that you didn't boot in EFI mode.
Please make sure that the medium indeed contains the DVD ISO content and not the boot ISO content.
And also make sure that when you boot from the medium that the related EFI menu entry is selected. :)

Regards,
Christian

Have you downloaded "rhel-8.1-beta-1-x86_64-dvd.iso" this one [Size approx 7.1 GB] because other one lower size don't have all the package and you have to manually add appropriate repos and need active internet connection as well. So it is recomended to download "rhel-8.1-beta-1-x86_64-dvd.iso" and install from that. Hope that will help.

Hi Bryon,

Let us know how this went for you and if you need any more assistance, and someone ought to reply to you.

Regards,

RJ

I installed VB with [rhel-8.1-beta-1-x86_64-dvd]. But, on the Installation Summary page, the Installation Source has an error displaying "Error setting up base repository" which is preventing me installing. And also i see, in the Software Selection " Error downloading Package metadata" Any Help?

Hi ! :)

Seems you are using the boot.iso and not the dvd.iso ... you have to use the dvd.iso to install the system.
Also, make sure that you have networking enabled in the Anaconda installer before choosing something.

Regards,
Christian