UEFI Kickstart

Latest response

How can I configure a RHEL 7 kickstart script to install for both BIOS and EFI systems?

Right now my kickstart only works on non-EFI systems but I'd like it to work on both and choose whether to use EFI or not. I'm assuming I need to add an if statement in the %pre section but I can't find any documentation or examples anywhere. Red Hat's DVD iso works for either and I'm not entirely sure how it does that.

Thanks!

Responses

Hi Alexander,

If that were my decision, I would create two kickstart files - one for EFI based systems, and one for legacy BIOS based systems. :)

Regards,
Christian

Christian,

I'll most likely take this route but use the same %post for both of them since it should be compatible whether it's EFI or not. I'll probably bang my head against it for awhile before I do that though.

My new issue is that I can't seem to create an iso that's bootable on UEFI systems though. The command I'm using is:

mkisofs -J -T -o /ISOs/rhel-ks.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
-c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
-R -m TRANS.TBL -graft-points -V "RHEL-7.6 Server.x86_64"  \
/opt/ISOs/testing.iso

Everything I'm finding says that with the -e images/efiboot.img and eltorito additions it should work. Anything look out of place with that?

Hi Alexander,

Unfortunately I don't have much experience with creating ISO files. I hope someone with more
experience chimes in - I don't want to provide you with suggestions that might work, or not ... :)

Regards,
Christian

Christian,

No worries, I'm in the same boat on the ISO part :D

Hi Alexander, dir you try to launch "isohybrid --uefi " after ISO is generated ? PhC

Alright, I was able to get the iso to boot on a uefi and a BIOS virtual machine with the following:

xorriso -as mkisofs -o /ISOs/gptest.iso -V "CentOS 7 x86_64" -c isolinux/boot.cat -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -eltorito-alt-boot -e images/efiboot.img -no-emul-boot -R -J .

I switched to CentOS for the xorriso package from the epel repo.

So now that the ISO works on both, I just need to tell it to choose the correct kickstart based on which installation it's using.

Great Alexander ! Well done ... :)

I got the last piece of the puzzle from this solution so I didn't have to create multiple kickstarts based on BIOS/UEFI. Thanks for the help everyone!

You're welcome, Alexander ! :)