Last 7.6 kernels 3.10.0-957.12.1.el7.x86_64 and 3.10.0-957.12.2.el7.x86_64 doesn't get published in Satellite content views

Latest response

Hi,

I have a situation here where kernel 3.10.0-957.12.2.el7.x86_64 is downloaded to my satellite but doesn't come into any content views that we have published. This happens across both my DEV and PROD satellite environments. All support libraries related to 957.12 are in the published content views and gets deployed normally but excluding only the kernel. No exclusions stated as well for any kernels in my configs.

This issue is with red hat satellite 6.1.12 that I have here. Has anyone faced this issue anywhere? If so, what was the solution please?

Regards
Sanjaka

Responses

Hello I'm getting the same on the latest kernel as well as the previous one, *957.12.1 and *957.12.2 , not sure why, I just checked the updateinfo portion of the kernel package and it seems to be fine, I think it could be the updateinfo itself

id="RHSA-2019:1168" title="" type="self" />rhel-7-server-rpms__7Server__x86_64_0_defaultbpftool-3.10.0-957.12.2.el7.x86_64.rpmd957b61403889eb0c708efc2f727b3a342e88d11949b598c61ae46ffadd9c52dTruekernel-3.10.0-957.12.2.el7.x86_64.rpm8c0e542fa58e62bbbdbbbe214c47bd40e6992c0ec1ee493af9da8dc1100179bfTrue

You are right Pablo.

The last successful one for me was 3.10.0-957.10.1 which auto applied. Both 957.12.1 and 957.12.2 failed to do so automatically. I have contacted red hat support and their response to this has been pathetic. Those guys were pushing me for a satellite upgrade which is like treating for your headache when you have a foot pain.

Along with this, there was another interesting error that came up off the CDN refreshes. My satellite was trying to download updates for RHEL 7.7, which according to Red Hat was a development version still. After about 4-5 days (with a weekend in between) that stopped though.

yes, something odd with the functionality, have you opened a case to RH?

I did and all red hat support from India told me was that I need to upgrade my satellite version.

We have the same issue. Before i wanted to create a case i looked in this forum. We have this issue on our satellite and spacewalk server for centos. Systems registred directly to redhat does not have this problem.

Yes Richard. My two satellite servers which are directly mapped to the CDN for their own updates are fine as you said. Only the satellite server based node updates are breaking here. Something spooky here...

My Satellite (6.4.3 - just upgraded from 6.3.x last week) has no problem providing the latest kernels to RHEL 7.x clients (I can see 3.10.0-957.12.1, which accurately reflects the last time I published a new Content View version).

The support technician may be right - Satellite 6.1.x is very old (released in 2015), and has been officially out of support since October 30, 2018 (see Red Hat Satellite Product Life Cycle for details). Based on my own experience, upgrading to 6.2.x at a minimum is essential, and 6.3.5 would be better. I haven't been running 6.4.x long enough to say whether it is better than 6.3.x or not.

Hi James, thanks for sharing your experience. If what you have seen holds good, the SAT version may be playing a role in here. Let's see what others contribute to this thread with.

Hi, if I'm reading it right I had something similar after updating Satellite. I could see updates available for the Satellite Server itself. I could see the sync from RHN was working and packages were showing in the Satellite UI for Content Views but no clients were able to see any of the new updated packages.

Contacted RH Support and they were able to fix the problem.

Before the fix on in Satellite, I could see 24,247 packages for RHEL 7Server and 62 Packages for Sat Tools 6.5. On the clients, however:

!rhel-7-server-rpms/7Server/x86_64              Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server (RPMs)                               24,135
!rhel-7-server-satellite-tools-6.5-rpms/x86_64  Red Hat Satellite Tools 6.5 (for RHEL 7 Server) (RPMs)                      0

And no updates (including kernel and others) were available for install. Fix applied as follows:

Re-generate Product Content using validate sync. Content > Products > choose product(s) eg RHEL7 etc > Select Action dropdown > Advanced Sync > Validate Content Sync And then resync the repository.

Re-publish all affected Content Views (for me RHEL7) and then Promote through each required environment.

And then run the following commands on each client:

# subscription-manager refresh
# yum clean all
# yum repolist
# yum updateinfo
# yum updateinfo list

And then on all the clients I could see the latest packages available.

!rhel-7-server-rpms/7Server/x86_64              Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Server (RPMs)                               24,247
!rhel-7-server-satellite-tools-6.5-rpms/x86_64  Red Hat Satellite Tools 6.5 (for RHEL 7 Server) (RPMs)                     62